88 Camry Transmission noise

I've got an 88 Camry 4 cyl with an automatic trany. About 30k miles. Bought from an old lady who only drove to church etc.

Was driving today doing about 45 and experienced that noise you get when you drive over loose gravel and it kicks up under the car. This continued as I was driving along the road. When it didn't go away, even when I pulled up to a stop light, I suspected something mechanical. It sounded like it was coming from under my shifter. I moved the shifter into neutral and then back into drive and the noise went away and hasn't come back. I haven't been over about

25mph since then though.

Anyone experienced this ?

Should I get an inspection or do more test driving ?

No leaks I can see, fluid looks clean and red.

Haven't replaced the fluid, sounds like 30k is time.

Reply to
john doe

How's the fluid LEVEL? 20 years on the original fluild is probably too long. Usually the first thing on tranny trouble is to drain/refill ATF and maybe change out the strainer as well.

Did the noise disappear as you shift into N, or after you shift out of N?

It could simply be a loose part somewhere hitting something (like in the torque converter housing). Or it could be a tranny hard-part problem. You can negotiate a deal with a shop with a dyno and ask the mechanic to help identify the source.

Reply to
johngdole

Will need to re-check with engine running. Was checking wrong before. It's time to do the refill and pan clean thing anyway apparently.

I think it did when shifting to N.

Here's an update, I think the trany's fine. cross fingers.

When checking under the hood I noticed my engine belt was frayed and figured I'd have to get that fixed immediately too. Checking the Haynes book, I cracked up when I saw how large (width) the engine (crank/alternator/air cond) belt was supposed to be. It's down to a fraction of the size it's supposed to be. Hanging by a thread.

I suspect the belt fragmented while driving today and caused the bouncing gravel sound as it disintegrated. Part was probably hung up on something and got free when I shifted into Neutral. Just a guess, but seems to fit the facts. Will know tomorrow.

Good idea. Hope it doesn't come to that.

Thanks.

Reply to
john doe

Yeah, you can get a Fram ATF kit with cork-rubber gasket for about $20. Works well.

Yes, does sound like something loose. Glad it's likely just the worn belt. (Have you changed the timing belt too?)

Reply to
johngdole

Change all oils and dont forget the Transfer Case.

Reply to
ransley

Sounds like a good idea. Looks like we reached the time limit on the alternator/AC belt. I suppose the timing belt will be next. Was hoping to get some milage out of the original water pump.

No further noises, transmission is working fine. Apparently it was the belt going to hell.

Reply to
john doe

That's why manufacturers say to change tires every 6 years. Rubber deteriorates and of course blown tires are much more dangerous than an old belt, and that's why they mention it in newer owners' manuals. But

20 year! That's isn't so bad ;) ;) ;)

Reply to
johngdole