88 Engine

=_NextPart_000_0096_01C4C076.3713B990 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I have an 88 Camry with an 3SFE 4 Cylinder engine. 184,000 miles, = purred like a kitten, and excelerated like a new car. Average mileage = was 29-30 mpg and did not burn a drop of oil. Unfortunately, I took it = to a body shop to get some rust removed and fresh paint. This was done, = but there were some problems with the paint [MAACO shop in Brooklyn] so = I took it back to get them fixed. I received a telephone call at home = two days later to say the car would not run. The paint shop owner = stated they tried to crank the car and it sounded like the starter would = not engage.

Never having had any major trouble, I had it check by a reputable = mechanic who told me the engine had seized. How could this happen?? = The valve cover and pan were removed: the oil was clean [I had it = changed recently] and there was no sign of internal overheating. I was = shocked to see how clean the engine was and how "new" the metal looked. = However, the engine could not be turned by hand through a complete = revolution. Any ideas?=20

I honestly think someone screwed me here.

=20 George M. Jones The Salvation Army Newark Area Services 45 Central Avenue Newark, NJ 07102 =20 george snipped-for-privacy@use.salvationarmy.org tel: =

973-623-5959, ext. 212 =20 =20 =20 =20 =20 Signature powered by Plaxo Want a signature like this?=20 =20 Add me to your address book...=20
Reply to
George and Jurate

=_NextPart_000_001C_01C4C130.B0DD4A60 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Never having had any major trouble, I had it check by a reputable = mechanic who told me the engine had seized. How could this happen?? = The valve cover and pan were removed: the oil was clean [I had it = changed recently] and there was no sign of internal overheating. I was = shocked to see how clean the engine was and how "new" the metal looked. = However, the engine could not be turned by hand through a complete = revolution. Any ideas?=20

I honestly think someone screwed me here.

Astrange one to be sure,....while its possible the engine failed while = it was in the shop, its not likely. For the engine to lock-up at one = particula point in a revolution, it should be possible to source the = broken part while the sump was off etc.

These engines aren't supposed to be valve-piston interference,..so a = jumped tooth/s on the cam belt should not cause a lock-up..

Maybe the battery is tired?!! Then again you'd think the mechy would = have cleared that possibility...

Have you tried starting it in neutral rather than park (assuming its = automatic)

Jason

=20 George M. Jones The Salvation Army Newark Area Services 45 Central Avenue Newark, NJ 07102 =20 george snipped-for-privacy@use.salvationarmy.org tel: =

973-623-5959, ext. 212 =20 =20 =20 =20 =20 Signature powered by Plaxo Want a signature like this?=20 =20 Add me to your address book...=20
Reply to
Jason James

Are you sure it siezed, a breaker bar on the crank with the plugs out may get it to turn. Are you sure there was oil in it, Many mistakes happen , mechanics changing oil make mistakes. Be sure it wont turn by hand first. Or Bad starter, circuit, battery etc.

Reply to
m Ransley