'88 heater problem

Newsgroups: alt.autos.toyota.camry

Date: 2001-05-13 13:40:07 PST

I suspect an electrical problem, a relay, perhaps a combination heater/AC relay > switch of some sort, but I really don't know for sure. > > Has anyone got a clue. There must be something going on that is preventing the > air from being blown over the heater and AC coils under the dash but I really > don't want to take this in for service if its just a simple relay replacement. > > Thanks for any help! >

There AC light flashes when the amplifier (computer) sees a difference in engine rpm and compressor rpm. It thinks the compressor is causing the belt to slip so it disengages the clutch. Causes could be a loose belt, internal compressor problems, or a bad rpm detect switch. Usually it's the switch, but unfortunately it's mounted in the compressor, requiring the freon to be evacuated.

As for the heater temperature problems, it could be the blend door. I can't remember if those year Camry's had push button electronic controls though. Does yours? If not then it could be a loose or binding cable. Look under the dash for a cable that moves when you move the temperature lever. Also check the water valve under the hood to see if it's moving.

Chris >>>>

Greetings,

I'm looking for info on a similar problem to the one shown above & found this old post in DejaNews. My '88 has PB electronic switches & I can hear the air flow change (car parked but running) as the air goes from hot to cold & back to hot again. I suppose this sounds like a 'blend door' problem. The variable heat control (linear potentiometer) seems to work properly & I've cleaned it with electronic contact cleaner. Does anyone have any idea what Toyota uses to move this door; servo motor, vacuum servo, or ??? ? Also, is it accessible without tearing out the entire dash?

Thanks,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie England