'88 that hesitates

Car has 193K on it and recently had the timing belt and water pump replaced at a Toyota Service Shop. After getting the car from the shop, the service clerk told me I had a transmission problem and tried to sell me a power flush. The car had not had such a problem previously, so I went out and drove the car off. It hesitate as though it was choking then picked up and slowly moved off. The sensation was like the engine was working hard to get anywhere, but I did not hear a whine or get the feel of a slipping tranny. Once the engine picked up power, the tranny would change - the more speed the smoother the change. Going up hill it would tend to heat up and slow down - never over heated however. I had a friend who works at a transmission shop check it out and he told me it was a timing problem not a transmission problem. He did a little work on the timing [free] and the car runs much better, however, it still evidences a bit of hesitation. Because he is very busy and did the work free I haven't gone back to him yet. Any ideas??

Reply to
George and Jurate

The car, if the cam-belt was changed and re-timed properly, shouldn't be any different than before you took it in. Take it to a reputable mewchanic to have cam-timing checked or the belt install checked. On the 4 cyl, the cam-belt drives the water-pump, so they would have had it off.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Sounds like typical run around you sometimes get from mechanics who botch the work . There's cam timing controlled by the timing belt that was replaced, but the cam - assuming 4 cylinder since you didn't say differently - also drives the distributor which controls ignition timing. The timing belt has teeth or notches so there will be no slippage. This means is has to be installed properly. Not uncommon to be "one tooth off" - sounds like your problem. Since the drivability issues arose right after the work - that's a big clue. If the second mechanic adjusted the ignition timing, that could help compensate, but doesn't correct the underlying problem. Someone needs to take everything apart again and make certain the timing marks - crankshaft pulley and camshaft gear are correctly aligned and the belt properly tensioned. Should be routine for someone familiar with this work, but can be quite tricky for someone unfamiliar with this particular application. After reading the Internet for a couple of years, I did this work myself. There is a tiny notch on the upper portion of the front camshaft bearing that can be seen through a small circular opening in the camshaft sprocket when the timing belt is correctly positioned and the crankshaft pulley mark is at top dead center. The Haynes repair manual shows pictures. Even with a light and a mirror, I had difficulty aligning these marks precisely, and wound up using a round wooden tooth pick to judge the correct position. Sounds odd, but worked fine. There needs to be tension placed on the side of the belt facing front when installing the belt. Also, you need (strongly recommended) to replace the tensioner pulley spring with a new one, but do not rely solely on that spring to tension the timing belt. You need to loosen the adjustment bolt and pry or pull with a lot of force several times (I pulled upward with the full force of both arms enough to move the whole engine several times - smoothly but firmly), then release the tensioner pulley and tighten the adjustment bolt with that spring retaining the tension. To restate - the spring only holds some of the tension previously applied. If you rely entirely on that spring, the belt will be too loose and cause problems quickly. Also recommended with this work to do a variety of other items to prevent future problems - but find a trusted mechanic first. Oil seals, water pump, valve cover gasket, distributor O ring, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor and packing, transmission and differential fluid change, power steering fluid and brake fluid change, check chassis mounting bolt torque, seat mounting bolt torque.

Reply to
Daniel

I agree with Daniel. They installed the timing belt improperly -- probably a notch or two off. Note that once the belt is installed correctly (and hence the valve timing is now correct) the igintion timing will have to be redone -- put back to where it orignally was.

Reply to
jimhigh66

Thanks to all for your great help. I always find good, sound advice here.