89 Camry door switch replacemet, how to?

Hello, a friend of mine gave me his '89 camry wagon, and the only known problem is the driver side auto belt is non functioning. After extensive testing and troubleshooting I figured out the culprit has to be the switch linked to the door latch.

I've tested the wire leading from the door switch, to the computer, by grounding out the socket I can move the seat belt arm forward or back (the computer thinks the door is being switched).

So I know the computer, and wiring inside the door, work. The only possible fault has to be the switch the wiring is hooked up to. I've disconnected the three wire hookup inside the door frame, after peeling back the blue plastic seal on the interior of the door (after removing the panel).

I've tried to follow the wire by using a mirror but I can't see where it leads to. I can't physically find the switch, just the wire that leads to it. So I'm at a standstill unless I can remove the entire assembly without somehow messing up the automatic window/lock/handle assemblies in the area.

My question is, can I easily get to the door switch, or should I just bite the bullet and pay a pro to finish the job for me?

Also if the switch is busted, and not just stuck or dirty, what is the best resource for a replacement?

Reply to
edmund.dupont

Well I can't find a shop manual and nobody here has responded so I'm going to just install a switch in the door panel to bypass the in door switch.

Reply to
Buster Charlie

Try the Autozone free repair guide on your model:

This is for the door part.

And door panel:
No mention of auto seat belt on a quick look.

Reply to
johngdole

I appreciate the reply greatly. I was able to remove the door panel (the interior pressboard part) but the switch is deep inside the door frame and because this model has auto windows and locks, I am worried about causing more damage to the vehicle trying to remove parts to get to the hidden switch.

I've figured out if I can install a on-on switch and screw it into the door panel I can manual activate the automatic door by telling the computer the door is 'open' or 'closed' with the manual switch I'll have to install instead of the factory door latch automatic switch.

Thanks for the reply, the autozone site has some great info on other areas of the car which will be of help to me!

Reply to
Buster Charlie