89 Camry makes clicking sound while starting and sometimes does not start

Hello,

I am having this problem intermittlently with my 89 toyota camry (v6). Sometimes when I try to start it, it makes a clicking sound and does not start. This sound is also there when the car starts properly (just before the engine revs up).

I have noticed this problem recurs often in the summer time and also once I have driven my car (and the engine is hot etc.).

The repair shop (pep boys) could not diagnose any problem and recommended replacing the starter as a "peace of mind". I was not convinced and so did not go in for the change.

Has anyone faced a similar problem? Does anyone have a clue on what the problem could be?

Thanks,

Prashant

Reply to
Prashant

It is a problem with the electrical system, probably the battery. But the root cause could be a bad alternator that does not charge the battery properly. But most likely it is just a bad battery (if you are lucky).

You could check the water level (use distilled water only and do not overfill). If that is the problem you "might" be able to nurse the battery back to health.

But if the battery is more than 3 years old, probably better to just replace it first, and then see if the problem continues. If the problem does continue after a new battery, check the alternator (or the belt assembly that turns the alternator).

Reply to
Mark A

Reply to
Robert

Bad battery , have it load tested, bad cables, bad ground, starter solenoid, worn starter pulling to much load , etc etc.

Reply to
m Ransley

It's a little hard to imagine what the sound actually sounds like. Rapid 'clicking' can be the starter solenoid slamming in and out due a low battery or a tired starter with brush wear (solenoid current flows thru the starter brushes to ground during the initial engagement phase) or it maybe the pinion-clutch slipping. You need to rule out the battery/cables first.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Yes I think so too. I forgot to mention that I had the battery and the electrical system for the ignition checked out and that did not turn up anything.

Is there a small test I can carry out to verify the source of the problem?

This is the list of possible things that may be wrong that I got from another forum..

"Bad battery , have it load tested, bad cables, bad ground, starter solenoid, worn starter pulling to much load , etc etc."

What do you think is the most likely problem?

Thanks, Prashant

Reply to
Prashant

I still think the battery is not supplying full power to the starter. I don't if the problem is the battery itself, or whether the you have battery cable problems, or corrosion, etc.

Reply to
Mark A

Reply to
Robert

FYI my '88 Camry has been exhibiting the same problem for 8 months or so now (went away over the winter) and I've had 3 different starters in the car to try to remedy the issue but no joy yet. My mechanic will not do any more work until they can recreate the problem and of course it nevers happens for them...

If I learn more I'll post.

Good luck

Chris in NC

Reply to