'89 Camry pulling to the right on slippery street

( '89 Cam w/194K, 4cyl with auto tran ) Re subject: I noticed pronounced pulling to the right whenever the wheels started to spin (this was at very low speeds). All the tires are matched and pressure was matched with the exception of the left rear being a few pounds low. No uneven wear. I raised front left & right and checked for play that would indicate worn tie rod ends -- nothing significant. I have not checked ball joints. The car drives perfectly on dry surface. Jim H.

Reply to
jimhigh66

Sounds like you're describing torque steer. On front drive cars, one axle is usually longer than the other. The longer the axle, the less torque the wheel recieves. So since one side recieves just a bit more torque than the other, the car steers to the weaker side. In your case, the trans is on the left, so the right side axle is longer than the left.

Reply to
qslim

Have you ever changed your differential oil, it is separate, have you checked it recently, a mechanic must do it under the car on a lift. Are tires the same age.

Reply to
m Ransley

Use Mobil Synthetic Transmission Fluid in Differentail, I notice more mpg, power.

Reply to
m Ransley

Since you are describing a situation where the car has started wheel-spin,..its handling during that event is going to be erratic.

As they say in some workshop manuals "revise your driving habits" :-)

Jason

Reply to
Jason James
  1. I really don't think it's torque steer.
  2. The dealer says the differential fluid and the transmission are one and the same.
  3. Living in the midwest I've been driving on slippery surfaces for over
50 years and have never experienced this type of behavior in a front-wheel drive car (including this one) before last week. Jim H.
Reply to
jimhigh66

This is just a shot in the dark, Jim, but I once had a similar problem. It turned out to be a partially seized left front brake caliper, discovered by jacking up the front end and noting that the left wheel was harder to spin. A new caliper fixed the problem. Hope that helps, Fotofreak

Reply to
Fotofreak

The Trans and differential are NOT the same, 2 different sealed components, I ought to know I own an 89 model type, I have changed mine. Dealers can be idiots, get a manual, learn.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks all. I have a Haynes manual that covers a number of years and it mentioned it but one mechanic expressed doubt and the dealer said no. I'll try to check it. I'll also check the brake caliper.

Reply to
jimhigh66

I have that model and for 12 years all mechanics- 4, said a different transfer case with seperate oil did not exist, your manual showes it, that is your proof. A quick oil chnge place can do it and you should get in the bay and watch, it is hard to change its oil.

Reply to
m Ransley

============ Sometime the flex lines collapse internally. If you find a binding caliper, don't overlook the brake hose.

Reply to