89 Electrical problem-alternator?

My son's 89 went dead a few days ago. We thought the alternator might be bad. He took alternator (new in Aug 2001) and the battery for a test and they both tested out good. Any ideas?

Reply to
Mike Mason

When you say the car went dead, you mean the key wouldn't activate the starter? If so, did anything else electrical work on the car? You need to answer these questions to narrow the issue down a bit.

If other things elect were OK, you are looking at a starter -motor or control circuitry problem,..if not OK, amore basic problem in the battery to car wiring or fusing.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

The car "died" as in no juice from the battery. He tried jumping it and drove a ways toward home but it died again (no eleictrical juice)...hence we suspected maybe a bad alternator. He called today to report that he put the battery and alternator back in the car and it started up and seemed to run fine, but the real test will come in the next few days. Maybe ite was some sort of bad connection somewhere.

Reply to
Mike Mason

battery to

OK, agree...once the car jump started, the alternator should keep the car running, regardless of battery condition, provided the car is not idling down ( revs dropping too far when driver's foot is off the go-pedal) so far that the alternator cannot output sufficient current to run the car's fuel-pump, injection, engine management computer etc.

He called today

That's possible, or perhaps the alternator belt was slipping badly. Once the alt failed to keep up with demand and the battery started to go flat, the charge light should have been illuminated. Please advise if the problem persists.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James