90,000 mile service...

This is a two part question. I have a '98 Camry quickly coming on 90K. I was just wondering what others have done for their 90K service, and what's recommended?

Additionally, what experience have other folks had with their Camry's above 100K? My vehilce seems to run soundly, but there are a number of little things that are bugging me (i.e. cover fell off of driver's side vanity mirror, arm rest came unhinged, right rear shoulder belt is sprung and won't retract). A salesman told me about a year ago when I was looking at the '02's that the '96's were the best year made. Thereafter, with the body style change in '97 the car was "deconstructed" and the quality has lagged in the areas such as what was mentioned above.

Sean

Reply to
Sean

The salesman is right. Post-96 Camries are lousy. The best ones ever were the 89-92, but that's a distant memory for the managers. I have one of these "new" Camries and will stay away from it in the future.

Sean wrote:

Reply to
Chad

It could be worse you know, you could have a F.O.R.D. Found on road Dead!

Reply to
Don Moore

Ford's last "good" year was the 1966 Galaxie. ;^)

Reply to
Philip®

I have a 2001 Camry LE V6 25,000+ miles

I service as follows

Every week Wash car

Every other week Wash and wax car

Every 3 months Full Detail Car

Every 3k oil and filter Mobil 1 air filter air pressure tires

Every 6k miles rotate tires torques to factory specs

Every 12k miles realign all 4

Every 15k miles Flush trans mobil 1 atf Flush power steering Clean fuel system Flush brakes Throttle body Flush radiator Battery service

Every 30k miles Belts Hoses Clean Air conditioner System Engine flush

Every 60k miles Hasn't reached 60k yet but when it does Timing belt Spark plugs Replace fuel filter

This is how I service my car, but then again I plan on having it forever. Do what you want. Your mileage may vary.

Reply to
Dad

Wow, you do a lot more than I do and I thought I did a lot! Just wondering why you flush the trans so often even with Mobile 1 ATF? I use toyota fluid flushed every 30,000. I wish I had flushed the power steering fluid, maybe save me that replacement rack. I assume you are using Toyota red coolant? OK, now those belts and hoses last a LONG time, changing them every 30,000 is way above and beyond! I did not change my belts until 100,000 and at 165,000 still have the original hoses too!(I may change them soon). You can send me your old belts and hoses and I will use them! OOPs you have V6... When I wanted to change the belts on my previous Camry and Honda my Toyota master mechanic gave me a look like I was nuts... What do you do to clean the AC system? If your using that expensive Mobil oil, do you really need to flush your engine at all? You really wax it every other week? I do mine 3 times a year.. Just curious about these things, if it works for you and you have the time and money to do them thats cool too. Since you will keep it forever, please leave it to me in your will... Rob

Reply to
ROBMURR

Yeah, the one with the 352 cid V-8 which got (if you were lucky) 15 mpg on the highway and couldn't outrun a Volkswagon Beetle; had crappy suspension and even worse steering, all the plastic trim would crack and split within five years of ownership.

That one?

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Wax it every week? - geeze does it still have paint on it at all? Can you spell obsessive compulsive. It a Toyota so will go 150k+ with normal care --- you're definately overdoing it and polluting our earths resources. Why not get a horse they respond to such attention - its wasted on a car. Now I used to have a Triumph Spitfire and every weekend I absolutely had to work on it.

Reply to
Wolfgang

My first response would be "Don't believe what salesmen tell you." But in this case he may be right. I have a 1994 and a 1997 Camry. My 1994 is the best car I've ever had. It is definitely more solidly built and has a quieter interior than the 1997. At 146,000 miles it has had less maintenance and repair done than the 1997 which has 80,000 miles now.

The only improvements in the 1997 I have noticed are better handling, better front seats, and a bit more power. However the dash controls are inferior to the 1994. By the way, the 1994 is made in USA and the 1997 is made in Japan.

Reply to
badgolferman

Your '94 was not built in America it was merely assembled in the US, of mostly Japanese parts. ;)

mike hunt

badgolferman wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

That may be true, but all I can go by is the VIN.

Reply to
badgolferman

the

Oh my gosh! You mean its actually a Ford?

Reply to
Steve Wolf

The first digit of which is?

mike hunt

badgolferman wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

The 1994's first digit is 4. The 1997's first digit is J.

Reply to
badgolferman

To be a one '1' it must be at least 75% American parts. Even if they are Japanese companies that only assemble the parts in the US. I know the Tacoma is a '1' because of the GM connection and the UAW, but I'm surprised that the Corolla has a '1.'

mike hunt

MDT Tech wrote:

Reply to
MajorDome

Easy Kemo-sabi, I didn't doubt you word, only said I was surprised. I thought only the Tacoma and the Vibe were built in California and the Corolla and Matrix were built in Canada. I read in 'Automotive News' that the Tacoma was going to be built in Mexico next year ;)

mike hunt

MDT Tech wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

So, what does all this have to do with the original poster's question.

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Reply to
badgolferman

They all have the 90K servcie due when it hits 90K? ;-D

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Short term memory loss ah? Not a good thing. ;)

mike hunt

badgolferman wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Tacoma frame comes form Dana Corp in Stockton, made with US steel. All body sheet metal stamping for Tacoma and Corolla on done AT NUMMI from American steel. NUMMI also does all the plastic moldings from American plastic pellets. Engine/trans come from KY and WV plants using American raw materials. Only thing not American about these Toyotas is the engineering.

-- *Philip

"Children left running and unattended will be towed at owner's expense"

Reply to
Philip®