90 camry - engine jerks on coming to complete stop

I have a '90 camry, after a little while of driving when I bring the car to complete stop the engine starts jerking in a periodic manner. I have hunch that problem may have something to do with the AC, jerking kicks in faster if I have the ac on. Nothing I do, excpet park the car with engine off for a little while would stop the jerking. Any clues?

Thanks, Samy

Reply to
samyonix

My '91 does that when the idle speed drops low, the AC clutch disengages then the revs pick up and the AC clicks in again causing the idle to drop... etc etc. The kickdown cable was way too lose and I saw in the manual that can affect the idle (don't ask me??). When I tightened it according to the manual and wound the idle back up (I had screwed it down because it idles too fast), it rarely happens now. I suspect it has also to do with the AC idle adjust valve (not sure of the correct name) which makes a load hissing noise all the time, but costs too much to try a new one.

Reply to
jg

Try checking the resistance in the spark plug wires. Should be less than 25K ohms each. Just a guess, but doesn't hurt to check.

Reply to
Daniel

It could be that your engine is not idling up with the A/C on? Does it jerk like this without the A/C on at all? It sounds like an idle-up problem since you say it does not appear with what I assume you mean to be a cold start which would make sense since for a cold start, the engine idle would be higher initially. You probably need to get your IAC and idle stuff checked out. Could be a dirty IAC. Check the spark plugs and wires too as Daniel mentions.

dave mc

Reply to
davemac