'90 Camry LE V6 -- Ignition Coil and Igniter bad, what part number/model number's do I need to buy in order to replace?

The car has been unable to run for over a month, so I took it to the mechanic. The guy at the shop says over 20 diagnostic codes showed up, and that it would take a while to find out what exactly needs fixing, but during the time he was looking at it he apparentlly found out that the Ignition Coil and Igniter need to be replaced. It seems the Igniter is a fairly expensive part, and I'm not the richest person in the world...so I'm looking for somewhere to get one on the cheap, problem is that I know nothing about cars and have no idea what exactly I need. Any help would be very appreciated.

-= Get GrabIt for free from

=-

Reply to
SomeRandomGuy

The coil is a common issue in camrys not the ignitor. I see no reason for both to be bad, just a guessing mechanic would say both are bad. get part numbers from your parts store.

Reply to
m Ransley

The guy at the shop says over 20 diagnostic codes showed up, and that it would take a while to find out what exactly needs fixing, but during the time he was looking at it he apparentlly found out that the Ignition Coil and Igniter need to be replaced. It seems the Igniter is a fairly expensive part, and I'm not the richest person in the world...so I'm looking for somewhere to get one on the cheap, problem is that I know nothing about cars and have no idea what exactly I need. Any help would be very appreciated.

I agree with mike. Early on, in the mid-80s, Toy had some ignitor problems and replaced them free under "warranty," but since then it has been a pretty troublefree part.

The coil on the other hand goes at about 180 to 210K. You can get an aftermarket coil for about $30-$50 at a local parts store and it is a pretty easy swap out. Any Chiltons book in your local library will guide you.

I would try swapping out the coil and then see where that leaves you.

Reply to
timbirr

There should be an easy way to test the ignitor before pulling the distributor, which must be done to replace the coil, usualy it fails from a bad O ring leaking oil past. Cleaning the coil is a good first step, you can do that without removing the distributor, talk to a different mechanic in your area.

Reply to
m Ransley

How do you clean the coil without removing the distributor?

(I've been dreading taking the distributor out, since I don't know how to adjust the timing afterwards.)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

You can see most of it and use a rag, spray electronics cleaner should get where your fingers cant

Reply to
m Ransley

On 90 2.5 V-6 the coil and igniter are attached to the bracket next to the battery.20 trouble codes are due to por connections on the sensors/ecu

Reply to
Doctor J