90 camry malfunctioning auto seatbelt

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies. This newsgroup has helped out on more than one occasion. Our 90 Camry has automatic seatbelts (I dislike them quite a bit but...) and all of sudden the driver's side belt will not open/retract when the door is opened. The car has just over 100k miles on her and she has been kept in meticulous shape. Just yesterday, my wife was putting gas in and when she got back in the seat belt closed after she closed the door, like normal operation, and then after she started the car the seat belt light, in the dash console, blinked its usual 4-5 times but then instead of stopping it kept blinking away. Eventually, it stopped blinking. She called and notified me via cell phone and I instructed her to pay attention next time she stopped and opened the car door. Well, she did, and of course the seat belt did not retract when the door was opened. She has, unsuccessfully, been able to get the automatic seatbelt to work on the driver's side, since. Luckily, though, it is in the closed position. I am frustrated because she is on a business trip and I can't see the car for myself. Everyone knows the bad feeling you get when you have to tell your wife to go see a mechanic. Does anybody have a clue as to what the issue may be?

Again, "Thanks, in advance."

Ryan C.

Reply to
Rybo

Check the wiring harness near the door hinge. Repeated flexing can cause one of the wires to break. If you happened to move those wires around and the seat belt activated, that would be positive confirmation. Just a guess. Have heard this can be the cause. Don't have that model myself.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Have a 1990 V6 Camry without auto seatbelts but much of the problems with electrics were traced to a stuffed drivers door loom as Daniel mentions.

is

Reply to
Pat Sproule