90 camry: need rubber/plastic fuel tank inlet hose

Hi: I have a 4cylinder 90 camry, and I had to remove the tank to do some repair work on it. In the process, the plastic/rubber inlet fuel hose (about 1 foot long and 1 1/2inch inside diameter got damaged. It was in bad shape to begin with. The local toyota dealer wants $68 for what is basically a 1-foot piece of hard rubber. Says it is part number 77213-32020. It runs from the end of the metal filler tube to the tank inlet. I thought of using radiator hose, but my brother-in-law said that that would not hold up for gasoline.

There are no junk yards around here for getting used parts. Today they all just crunch the car up as soon as it is brought in.

I only plan to keep this car for another 8-10 months, until next spring. (I live in snow & cold country.)

Any suggestions for a 10-month fix? Would radiator hose really be bad?

Thanks

ron

Reply to
ron

Try an independent mechanic and Gates hose...

Reply to
mrdarrett

For short term use you're right. But it would be nice to make sure the fuel system is up to the minimum standard. Special parts like that is probably available only from the dealer ($$$$$). However, you can try online junk yards, like

Rubber hoses use different formulations for different applications: coolant, ATF, fuel/evap. IMO the best in class is Gates
Over-the-dealer-counter parts have so much mark-up that good belts and hoses like Gates look like great deals. However, they don't have the custom molded tank hose. And I am not sure if a generic fuel hose fits here. But hot-rodders and custom builder might know.

Reply to
johngdole

Daniel