91 4 cil Injector bad?

My car started fine today then started to miss thinking bad gas I put in heat and high octane as it is 15f. It just got worse missing only on aceleration not Idle on one cilinder. A mechanic located the one . So I changed that plug which started to burn white indicating a lean fuel condition, another plug was black-rich burn. Spark is good so now I think the injector is bad on one cilinder. Other wires I have found corroded in lamp connectors. So is it possible the plug in harness contacts for the injector are corroded or does this sound like a bad injector. I was going to travel today and tomorrow most mechanics will not look at it. It looks like replacing an injector is not easy it will be 0 tomorrow, Ive never done it and have limited tools. . The one cilinder fires at idle but starves-no fire on aceleration. Plugs 5000m wires 30000, air filter good. motor compression condition very good. One new plug on bad cilinder no difference. Should I get a rental and take it to the shop. Or might it be somthing I can fix, maybe bad contacts on injector harness

Reply to
m Ransley

Sounds like the plug lead or the distributor cap is cracked or tracked to ground. Ignition loss under acceleration means the spark is taking "the easiest (read: lowest resistance) path to ground" elsewhere than across the plug. When the engine starts to work harder, the air-fuel intake increases and presents across the sparkplug gap as a higher resistance.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

How can I tell if it is ignition loss. Wouldnt a bad fuel injector do this, a lean condition. My bad cilinder started to burn white.

Reply to
m Ransley

It was the plug wire, crappy 3 yr old 12000m on them after market junk. I am sick of aftermarket junk, My aftermarket thermostats last 3 yrs., plug wires 3-4 yrs. I bought 2 plug sockets yesterday before returning both, they would not hold the plug in. They were Tiawan crap. You cant be sure of aftermarket junk anymore. I know this has been going on for years but it seems worse. So my new wires and cap are aftermarket 70$. I wonder how long they will last. For one lousy bad 3$ wire it cost me

135$ today. Well at least it was not the injector.
Reply to
m Ransley

Yes, its a bit depressing when you buy in good-faith aftermarket parts and they are garbage. I mean dont they too have to live up to some informal industry standard? 3 yrs is not good enough.

I bought an aftermarket t'stat once and it was faulty (stayed shut). A lesson learned.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Sure is not worth saving a couple bucks using cheap parts... Lesson learned. Glad you got it fixed.

Reply to
ROBMURR

Reply to
John

What would you consider "non critical bits"?

Reply to
Viperkiller