'91 Camry

I have a 1991 Camry with fuel injection. It cranks fine, idles kind of high but goes into gear smoothly. At the beginning of a drive it accelerates good and rides good. After a few minutes of driving it begins to sputter and lose power. It never stalls and if I come to a complete stop it does not cut off. If I allow it to cool off and try to drive it, it still sputters and has no power. If I let it sit for a few days then start it, it begins the cycle all over again. I have not checked or changed anything yet. I am not really sure where to start. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Bamm

get your egr valve checked.

dave mc

Reply to
davemac

I had that (91), the stalks on the plug leads were cracked and floating in oil. Re-seated the tubes around the plugs in sikaflex and bought new leads (they come with distributer cap). Runs well now but still wouldn't idle properly. I found the gearbox kickdown cable was way too loose, that seemed to fix the idle though it still faulters a little with a/c on. Had tried to idle it down as it seems too fast, but idle was not stable so I screwed it back up. At least it doesn't stall now. Does your a/c idle solenoid make a funny noise? mine has a weird air-sucking noise & I suspect it's not right, but they are expensive and are not stocked at the local dealer here.

Reply to
jg

A common issue for that model is the ignition coil under the distributor cap, it gets oil on it from a worn Oring gasket, remove the cap and clean the coil, or it could just be a bad plug wire, replace them if old. What you describe is the most common of camry problems of that model.

Reply to
m Ransley