91 Camry AC Cuts off

The AC in my 1991 Toyota Camry cuts off when I first start the car, or when the car stops in traffic. The AC lights blinks, which according to the maintenance manual means the alternator belt is slipping. I checked the belt and it is ok. Replaced the belt and I still have the problem. This problem gets worst when the weather is very hot

I can turn the AC on and off several times, and it will then run ok.

Any ideas? I have had this problem for a long time.

Tks in advance Mel

Reply to
Mel

Just a wild guess - how's the freon level/pressure doing?

Is it R-134 or the other (I forget which...)?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Had it converted to the new stuff a few years back.

The problem occurred before and after the change. I also had the compressor fixed last month.

Tks much

Mel

Reply to
Mel

Dunno... try

for some ideas... Best wishes,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

-== Just so you know, ==-

this site is for the '92-'96 camry, not the '91.

The warning about not mixing the refrigerants caught my attention. There is supposed to be some oil mixed in there too to lubricate the compressor. ???

Reply to
mrdarrett

This applies to the 90 camry 4 cyl, it may be the same for the 91. Does the AC stay running if you rev the engine(at a stop light)? If so your idle speed may be too low, curb idle should be around 650-700RPM, (I'm going here from memory)I think the 90 had an AC Idle-Up circuit that increased the curb idle to around 900 rpm when the AC came on. HTH JerryR

Reply to
JerryR

The compressor is probably turning at a different RPM than the engine. That's a reason for the blinking light. Early 90s there was a big Camry recall on AC system corrosion. Maybe something seized up?

Reply to
johngdole