91 Camry ball joint stuck

I'm still trying to get to my CV boots. I've made it to the ball joint which is plain stuck to the control arm. I've tried a 2 arm gear puller to remove it but it won't budge. Is there a trick to separating these? I have the car on jack stands with no weight on the suspension.

Reply to
mikep

I would try some penetrating oil. Spray it on and let it soak in then hit the knuckle at the joint with a hammer. Hopefully it does the trick. Good luck. Scott

-- Message posted using

information at

zonie

Check the service manual:

I don't remember removing the ball joints to change the axles, only the tie rod ends. The only time I removed the ball joints was to replace them. Control arm was already removed. Replaced those too. Finally just smacked the end of the threaded shaft with a sledge hammer and they popped right out. But again, don't thing this is required for axles. IIRC Hanes method was different from the factory. They may have you remove the ball joint, but I didn't find it necessary. Changed both axles.

Reply to
Daniel

On your car what is the connection method between the ball joint unit and the control arm end ? On my 94 it is held by 3 bolts which you undo for this job. The ball joint taper is secured in the steering knuckle, not the control arm, on mine.

Cheers

Geoff

Reply to
whitefamily1

On your car what is the connection method between the ball joint unit and the control arm end ? On my 94 it is held by 3 bolts which you undo for this job. The ball joint taper is secured in the steering knuckle, not the control arm, on mine.

The control arm connects to the ball joint bolt and held on with a nut and split pin. I don't really want to remove the ball joint itself but separate the control arm from the ball joint bolt. The same for the tie rod arm which is also stuck.

Reply to
Michael Percival