91 Camry Cooling Fans always runs

I've got a '91 Camry 4cyl, there are dual cooling fans on the radiator which are supposed to go on to cool down the radiator, however they never go off any more, the start up as soon as you start the car. I supposed there is a sensor switch somewhere but my Chilton manual is useless in locating it. Can anyone tell me what I may be looking for, what might be causing to fans to be constantly running, the car does run at a normal operating temperature so it's not caused by any overheating problem...thx

Reply to
Rene

They are switched on by a heat sensor in or around the thermostat housing which can go bad and give false signals. They are probably switched with a relay to handle the current draw and these can go bad and stick in the on position. The relay is a small black box appx 3/4"x3/4"x1" and should be around the fuse box under the hood. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Thank you very much.

Reply to
Rene

Rene formulated the question :

Some cars automatically turn the fans on if the AC is running. Is yours?

Reply to
RD Sandman

No, it comes on if the A/C is turned off.

Reply to
Rene

This is more than likely due to a faulty fan relay. When this goes out on typical cars, the fans never turn on. Toyota designed it so that if the relay fails, they fans stay on so your car doesn't overheat.

Consequently, the same is true for your thermostat. If it fails, it stays open instead of closed like other manufacturers.

Reply to
Viperkiller