'91 Camry - Door Locks Pop Up

As I'm driving the door lock posts suddenly go up and unlock.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce K.

=================== Check the wiring harness near the driver's door hinge for intermittent shorts by wiggling and such. Frequent flexing can cause internal shorts or breaks. Since you have the master control for the door locks in that door, I'd check there first.

Reply to
Daniel

Reply to
johngdole

I bought a used '95 in '96 and it was fine. The dealer whined a lot because my trade-in had no value and I didn't finance the car purchase. So he wouldn't make any extra money on the car.

Within a year, my door locks started having a mind of their own. Clack, clack clack, clack.... So I forked over $142 to get the locks fixed. But they told me there water was entering at the top of the wind shield and running down to the driver's side kick panel near the fuses. They said there was corrosion and that caused bad connections and the locks flipping was the result.

Shortly the problem returned. So I looked into it. The connector in the door to the cable running under the dash had a whole row of pins corroded out quite badly. I soldered in jumpers around the 4 or 5 wires that were affected. The car has been fine ever since.

However, some one told me this is standard dealer trip to increase revenue. They take an eyedropper full of batter acid and squirt it on a connector. Eventually it will corrode the pins and need attention.

It's right up there with the metal filings-in-the-transmission trick and the squirt-of-oil-on-the-engine trick.

Good luck.

Reply to
Stubby