91 camry power window problem

Hi all,
I have a 91 camry-LE. Today my front right window stop going up. It goes down but not up. All other windows are working properly.
Is there a trick that I should try before going to a mechanic? I
should have it fixed before rains start in here ;).
Thanks, Tevfik
--
Tevfik Yucek <yucek at eng dot usf dot edu>
Are you happy now?
On Fri, 14 May 2004 00:45:22 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

If it works fine going down, you might be lucky like Vince suggested and just have a window switch problem. I would try taking out the switch assembly and checking and cleaning all the contacts.
Doug
If it was a switch wouldnt one switch work either the drivers master or the door switch?

Thanks for your answers.
Last night after I posted my question, I realize that the drivers door switch does not work for both up and down. However, the switch in the passenger door (the one which has problem) works for lowering the window but not up. This is really weird.
Is there a way to close the window by the way?
Thanks again, Tevfik
--
Tevfik Yucek <yucek at eng dot usf dot edu>
Are you happy now?
in 87 to 91 camrys they have a problem the window wireing gets shut in the door ita very time consuing and a pain in the ass but try movin the wireing harness in the doorjam and you may get lucky you may not this problem also is in celica's and any other toyota of these years

Tevfik, I had this problem with an '86 Camry, and other cars, it is almost always the switch. Take the switch out, carefully pry it open (it is usually a snap together housing) as there is metal contacts and a spring in there. Clean the old grease out and polish the mating contact surfaces, apply a small amount of silicon grease and reassemble. This should be tried first before trying the more expensive fixes.
This same procedure goes for the power lock switches.
Good luck
--
Tony Marsillo
Nutmeg Repair

Thanks everyone!
I have checked the switch (did not clean but open it etc.) and it didnt work.
Then I go to a mechanic friend and checked the stuff together. The motor is working fine. When we reverse-connected the connection of the motor, my window start going upward. The guys in the shop told me to go to a junk yard and get a new switch. I will do it whenever I have time.
Now, my window is closed and we disconnected the power to the motor. That is okey for me since my AC is working ;).
Thanks for your helps.
--
Tevfik Yucek <yucek at eng dot usf dot edu>
Are you happy now?

You need a regulator. About $100 from dealer. Remove door panel then remove regulator with motor separate the motor from the regulator carefully, the plastic is fragile. reverse order for installation The regulator has a small nylon piece that breaks and I don't think it's repairable
I had this problem with my car and it turned out to be a broken wire in the harness near the lower hinge. The master switch and each door switch for the windows are wired in series so if the ground wire breaks the motor will not get power to send the window up. If you remove the side kick panel cover on either side of the car you will see where the door harness plug goes. Remove the plug and then you can remove the rubber boot giving you access to all the wires in the harness. With the constant flexing of the harness the wires break causing a bad ground. If you have a meter and a manual you can actually follow the wire going to the switch and check for continuity. Once you find the broken wire just resolder it and cover the joint with heat shrink tubing and reinstall the boot and harness and you are all set. Alex

I also have a 91 Camry but, my problem is different and I was wondering if it might also be the regulator? The problem is my passenger window will go down and up from the driver's switch but will only go up from the passenger's switch, it won't go down. Any help would be great.

i have similar probs too with my 90 camry, i check the fused but havent gone into depth with the wires and ground wired much... i should though, however it would but my switches... if u get any more info let me know here or at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com