91 camry power window problem

Threaded View
Hi all,

I have a 91 camry-LE. Today my front right window stop going up. It
goes down but not up. All other windows are working properly.

Is there a trick that I should try before going to a mechanic? I
should have it fixed before rains start in here ;).

Thanks,
Tevfik

--
Tevfik Yucek <yucek at eng dot usf dot edu>
Are you happy now?

Re: 91 camry power window problem
if you find a trick post it, i think you need a new motor like i do.

Re: 91 camry power window problem
It could be the switch assembly.
I think the motor is bi-directional.

On Fri, 14 May 2004 00:45:22 -0500, ransley@webtv.net (m Ransley)

Re: 91 camry power window problem
If it works fine going down, you might be lucky like Vince suggested and
just have a window switch problem.  I would try taking out the switch
assembly and checking and cleaning all the contacts.

Doug

Re: 91 camry power window problem
If it was a switch  wouldnt one switch work either the drivers master or
the door switch?

Re: 91 camry power window problem

Thanks for your answers.

Last night after I posted my question, I realize that the drivers
door switch does not work for both up and down. However, the switch
in the passenger door (the one which has problem) works for lowering
the window but not up. This is really weird.

Is there a way to close the window by the way?

Thanks again,
Tevfik

--
Tevfik Yucek <yucek at eng dot usf dot edu>
Are you happy now?

Re: 91 camry power window problem
in 87 to 91 camrys they have a problem the window wireing gets shut in the
door ita very time consuing and a pain in the ass but try movin the wireing
harness in the doorjam and you may get lucky you may not this problem also
is in celica's and any other toyota of these years

Re: 91 camry power window problem
Tevfik,
I had this problem with an '86 Camry, and other cars, it is almost always
the switch. Take the switch out, carefully pry it open (it is usually a snap
together housing) as there is metal contacts and a spring in there. Clean
the old grease out and polish the mating contact surfaces, apply a small
amount of silicon grease and reassemble. This should be tried first before
trying the more expensive fixes.

This same procedure goes for the power lock switches.

Good luck

--
Tony Marsillo
Nutmeg Repair

Thanks everyone!

I have checked the switch (did not clean but open it etc.) and it
didnt work.

Then I go to a mechanic friend and checked the stuff together. The
motor is working fine. When we reverse-connected the connection of
the motor, my window start going upward. The guys in the shop told
me to go to a junk yard and get a new switch. I will do it whenever
I have time.

Now, my window is closed and we disconnected the power to the motor.
That is okey for me since my AC is working ;).

Thanks for your helps.

--
Tevfik Yucek <yucek at eng dot usf dot edu>
Are you happy now?

Re: 91 camry power window problem

You need a regulator. About $100 from dealer. Remove door panel then
remove regulator with motor separate the motor from the regulator
carefully, the plastic is fragile. reverse order for installation
   The regulator has a small nylon piece that breaks and I don't think
it's repairable

Re: 91 camry power window problem
I had this problem with my car and it turned out to be a broken wire in the
harness near the lower hinge. The master switch and each door switch for the
windows are wired in series so if the ground wire breaks the motor will not
get power to send the window up. If you remove the side kick panel cover on
either side of the car you will see where the door harness plug goes. Remove
the plug and then you can remove the rubber boot giving you access to all
the wires in the harness. With the constant flexing of the harness  the
wires break causing a bad ground. If you have a meter and a manual you can
actually follow the wire going to the switch and check for continuity. Once
you find the broken wire just resolder it and cover the joint with heat
shrink tubing and reinstall the boot and harness and you are all set.
Alex

Re: 91 camry power window problem
I also have a 91 Camry but, my problem is different and I was wondering if
it might also be the regulator? The problem is my passenger window will go
down and up from the driver's switch but will only go up from the
passenger's switch, it won't go down.
Any help would be great.

Re: 91 camry power window problem
i have similar probs too with my 90 camry, i check the fused but havent
gone into depth with the wires and ground wired much... i should though,
however it would but my switches... if u get any more info let me know
here  or at sayan94547@yahoo.com

Site Timeline