91 camry power window problem

Hi all,

I have a 91 camry-LE. Today my front right window stop going up. It goes down but not up. All other windows are working properly.

Is there a trick that I should try before going to a mechanic? I should have it fixed before rains start in here ;).

Thanks, Tevfik

--
Tevfik Yucek
Are you happy now?

if you find a trick post it, i think you need a new motor like i do.

Reply to
m Ransley

It could be the switch assembly. I think the motor is bi-directional.

Reply to
Vince

If it works fine going down, you might be lucky like Vince suggested and just have a window switch problem. I would try taking out the switch assembly and checking and cleaning all the contacts.

Doug

Reply to
-

If it was a switch wouldnt one switch work either the drivers master or the door switch?

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks for your answers.

Last night after I posted my question, I realize that the drivers door switch does not work for both up and down. However, the switch in the passenger door (the one which has problem) works for lowering the window but not up. This is really weird.

Is there a way to close the window by the way?

Thanks again, Tevfik

--
Tevfik Yucek
Are you happy now?

You need a regulator. About $100 from dealer. Remove door panel then remove regulator with motor separate the motor from the regulator carefully, the plastic is fragile. reverse order for installation The regulator has a small nylon piece that breaks and I don't think it's repairable

Reply to
Jerry

Reply to
Doug

Tevfik, I had this problem with an '86 Camry, and other cars, it is almost always the switch. Take the switch out, carefully pry it open (it is usually a snap together housing) as there is metal contacts and a spring in there. Clean the old grease out and polish the mating contact surfaces, apply a small amount of silicon grease and reassemble. This should be tried first before trying the more expensive fixes.

This same procedure goes for the power lock switches.

Good luck

-- T> > If it was a switch wouldnt one switch work either the drivers master or

Reply to
Tony Marsillo

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

Thanks everyone!

I have checked the switch (did not clean but open it etc.) and it didnt work.

Then I go to a mechanic friend and checked the stuff together. The motor is working fine. When we reverse-connected the connection of the motor, my window start going upward. The guys in the shop told me to go to a junk yard and get a new switch. I will do it whenever I have time.

Now, my window is closed and we disconnected the power to the motor. That is okey for me since my AC is working ;).

Thanks for your helps.

--
Tevfik Yucek
Are you happy now?

I also have a 91 Camry but, my problem is different and I was wondering if it might also be the regulator? The problem is my passenger window will go down and up from the driver's switch but will only go up from the passenger's switch, it won't go down. Any help would be great.

Reply to
RW

i have similar probs too with my 90 camry, i check the fused but havent gone into depth with the wires and ground wired much... i should though, however it would but my switches... if u get any more info let me know here or at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
NOSKiDD