91 Camry Runs Rough

Hi to all

I have a 1991 Toyota Camry, 4 cylinder automatic. When the outside temperature is colder than 50 F, the engine needs to run for about 30 mins. before it runs smooth. After that it is ok. I can park the car for several hours and when I start it up, it also runs ok.

  1. I have had this problem for several years. The dealers can't seem to find the time to let the engine cool enough to see the problem. The computer does not show any error codes.

  1. The thermostat is working ok and has been replaced as part of normal maintenance.

  2. The coolant temperature sensor on the front of the engine was replaced and it did not help.

  1. The spark plugs, wires and distributor were recently replaced to resolve an engine miss problem. The repairs had no effect on the rough engine problem.

  2. The injectors were cleaned several times as part of normal maintenance, but it did not help.

  1. I think this problem started after the car had 100K miles on it. It now has 200K (all freeway) miles and the problem has not improved or worsened.

Has anyone else had this problem? We like the car but the vibration from the engine is annoying.

Tks much

Mel

Reply to
Mel

A normal problem for a 87-91 with coil inside the disributor, if it goes away after it has sat warm for apx 30 min. Check the cap it could be loose alowing in air and moisture. The distributor oil seal leaks a bit contaminating the coil so it arcs when it is warming up and is fine after 30 minutes. Remove cap and clean coil with alcohol, spray everything inside since the coil is buried with electronics cleaner, trying hard to get behind the coil , since that is possibly where the contamination is worst from the oil seal. Replacing the coil means pulling the distributor, a big job. If wires and cap are a few years old , replace them with OEM Toy, and get the cap gasket and wire antiseeze compound. My non Toy wires only last a few years. Might as well do the plugs to. Also check the timimg as belts stretch, mine was retarded 3 degrees and I lost alot of power and 4 mpg.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks a lot Ransley!!

You were correct! I took of the distributor cap and sure enough it had oil inside. I cleaned everything like you said, and now the car runs much, much smoother.

I had several oil leaks fixed and the water pump and timing belt replaced a few months ago. At the time, the dealer called and told me the O ring on the distributor was also leaking. I told them to replace the O ring, and I have the bill for the work. Well, if they replaced the O ring, then why is there a lot of oil inside the distributor.

It is amazing to me that two different dealers could not figure this out. I have had this problem for several years.

I need to take my 2002 Camry in for some free service, and I am going to ask them why there was oil in the distributor after the replaced the O ring? I am also going to show them your Email, and maybe you should charge them "consulting" fees!

Thanks again

Mel

Reply to
Mel