'91 Camry Timing Belt Question

Long time Honda owner, first Camry for me (used). Need to know if the valves on the 2.0 3S-FE engine will be damaged if the timing belt brakes while the engine is running. This car has 120,00 miles on it, and I have no way to tell if the timing belt has ever been replaced. Thanks for help with the answer. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

Toyota lists it as a non-interference engine, but I have seen guys damage those once or twice.

Reply to
qslim

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

Recommended interval is 60,000 miles, so whether or not it was changed the first time, would be time to replace it again. (also ck. idler bearings and seals, spark plugs, differential, trans. fluiid, ps. fluid, brake fluid)

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

I just replaced a timing belt on a 2.0 3s-fe engine

180000 miles . The belt shredded with the car at
Reply to
den630