91 camry trunk light (2023 Update)

Hi folks, hope someone can help me, have just bought a 91 camry a couple of days ago and found the courtesy light in the trunk was no go, stuck in a new bulb and -ta da- we have light but then I found that it doesn't seem to go out when the trunk lid is closed. The switch must be stuck but I cannot seem to find it anywhere...where on earth is it hidden, is it buried inside the hinge mech. somewhere? How does one get to it, what trim do I need to remove to be able to find it? Please let me know so I don't have to strip half the car apart just to find it... Thanks, Ali.

Reply to
ali

of

new

does

Got some bad news. The trunk lamp switch is part of the lid lock on the body of the car.

My '93-97 says (and I assume the '91 is the same)

- remove plasic scuff plate by withdrawing straight up

- remove the retaining clips, and withdraw thw trim covering the striker plate

- disconnect the wiring connector

- mark the installed position of the striker plate using a soft lead-pencil ( the striker plate is adjustable to ensure a positive but easy trunk locking on closure) so it can be re-installed accurately,...then undo the retaining bolts and remove the striker plate

-remove the switch retaining bolt and remove the switch

I assume its some sort of plunger switch. It maybe broken such that it requires more travel to operate. Anyway, because the trunk lock is such a bastard of a job to remove and re-install, a new switch may well be worth the trouble.

Jason

=
Reply to
Jason James

Most of the time this has happened with my 'Yotas, it's a pretty simple repair (as long as the switch itself is not broken). May just need adjustment.

Reply to
HachiRoku

go

on

Please

it...

body

lead-pencil

Reply to
ali

just

Sounds allright for our corner of the world. I think the switch can be seen if you open the boot and look directly down at the lock on the body. Its that thing with what appaears to be a black weather shield around it, about the thicknes of a pencil.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Consider adding a mercury switch in series on one of the wires and adjust it to make contact only when the lid is raised… problem solved.

Reply to
Humpy