91 with no PVC

A 91 4 cil Camry has no pvc valve from what I have read, what is there to maintain to keep the gas recirculation clean and operating properly.

Reply to
m Ransley

PVC is poly vinyl chloride - a white plastic commonly found in sprinkler lines.

Perhaps you mean "positive crankcase ventilation" or "PCV"

I'm quite sure your '91 has got one. The predecessor was road draft tubes, where the blowby was vented to atmosphere. If you look you should see a black tube apx. 1/2" diameter coming off the valve cover and leading to the intake.

My '77 Toyota truck has one, so they've been around a while.

The PCV valve will be at the base of that tube leading from the top of the valve cover. You won't really see it until you pull it out. Be forewarned though, on mine, the gasket was really brittle, and the valve was hard to remove. When I later replaced the valve cover gasket and had the valve cover removed, I turned it upside down to replace the PCV valve grommet - the brittle pieces that broke off then fell to the floor instead of inside the vapor separation baffle at the top of the inside of the valve cover.

I think the basic test for a PCV valve is simply shake it and if it rattles, it's OK, but they're cheap enough to replace with new while you're there.

Reply to
Daniel

A poorly sealing PCV valve can cause a host of problems, including too lean a mixture on starting (providing the car is "open" loop on starting), robs brake vacuum resevoir of vacuum-top up durimg slow moving traffic and if it gets bad enough, engine snuffs while idling.

In a Ford I own, the PCV valve caused havoc until I replaced it for about $10.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Well the manual doesnt mention a PCV , the hose on the valve cover going to the intake has none, it is an opening unobstructed that goes into the valve train the hose slides onto, so I guess it really has no PCV?

Reply to
m Ransley

Are you the original owner? I'm not that familiar with the Gen2 Camrys, but it sounds to me like somebody yanked the PCV valve and just did a direct-connect into the valve cover. That can't be good...

Reply to
Andy Hill

Following up on my original post, if the engine in the '91 is anything like the

4-bangers in the Gen3 Camrys, there are *two* hoses going to the valve cover from the air intake -- one has a PCV valve, one is a straight shot.
Reply to
Andy Hill

That's correct, but the thumbprints of 3sfes on Google image search,..look like one line. Too hard to see if there's a PCV in it,..but if it did have no valve, the direct line would go on the atmosphere side of the throttle,..or aircleaner side.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

There is PCV system but there is no PCV valve on the 3SFE engine, according to Chilton. The diagram shows a simple hose from the front of the valve cover to the intake. Recommended maintenance is to "clean the line with combustion chamber conditioner", although I have never done it myself.

Reply to
bauz

The hose does go into the intake at the throttle body, not before the air filter.

Reply to
m Ransley

I pulled the hose from the valve cover to intake, the fittings have no valve in them as a screwdriver went in easily, but what is strange is the hose is perfectly clean inside, no oil residue, I find that hard to believe as the car has 105000m on it, I wonder if it is not pulling through engine air for some reason.

Reply to
m Ransley

Mark, I found a reference to the 3SFE engine not having a PCV valve. It appears to be so. Please click on the tiny URL below and scroll to the bottom of the page. It clearly says there that there is none on your engine. BTW, in this case, crankcase ventilation still occurs, it is just done a little differently and normally AFAIK, that hose would connect to the atmosphere side of the throttle valve,...but hey, I've been wrong before..

Jason

Reply to
Jason James