92 6 Cyl Camry - oil leaks in used engine

I've got a 6cyl '92 Camry LE. I had about 235,000 on original engine till something gave loose and poof - that was end of that engine. Bought a used engine for around $1400 which supposedly had 95,000 on it. Runs fine, but has some oil leaks. My local mechanic said the bigger leak was coming from around the distributor and the smaller leak was from the timing belt area. They recommended that I take it a local engine repair shop and have them check it out. Recently I drove it about 1000 miles just here and there (short trips) and it used about 1/2 quart of oil. Then I drove it on a highway trip of about

350 miles and it used the rest of that quart. Coming back home on the 350 mile return trip, it only seemed to use about 1/4 qt. Not sure what this means. I don't see oil leaks in the driveway.

What should I be aware of when I go to engine shop? What sort of action would you recommend? Replace these particular seals - replace all seals, ??? Replace timing belt since I don't know if it has ever been replaced? Trying not to drop a fortune in the car (car is in good shape) as I don't want it to become a financial sinkhole.

Thought perhaps someone here could offer some advice.

Thanks! Mark

Reply to
Poster Man