92-96 Camry: Sludge? Common Problems?

I know a very small number of techs, but the three I do know said they have never seen an engine sludged up if the oil was changed (i.e. customer was able to show receipts showing an oil change at least every 7,500 miles).

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-me.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Right... Toyota is spend $50 mil or more because 3400 customers didn't change their oil according to the schedule. It makes much more sense the way you explain it

Reply to
Jimmy

Where (or how) did you arrive at that figure of $50 million?

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

In news:Y5kUb.169819$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com, Stephen Bigelow being of bellicose mind posted:

Yeah... that DOES make for some interesting unit repair costs! LOL

Reply to
Philip®

Valvoline MaxLife didn't carry the API donut when it first came out, although they claimed it met API standards. One theory was that they upped the amount of anti-wear zinc/phosphorous-based additives such that it wouldn't meet the API SJ standard (i.e what some Amsoil droids have claimed). Things have changed. The only other major-label oil I recall that didn't carry the API seal was Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40 diesel engine oil. Cummins developed it with Valvoline and specifically recommended it as meeting their warranty requirements. It now carries the API donut (SJ + several diesel ratings).

Not any more. Valvoline MaxLife now comes in 5W-30. It's the only "high mileage" oil I've seen that comes in 5W-30. The first generation of "high mileage" oils all came in 10W-30 weights. Heck - Mobil even labelled Mobil 1 10W-30 as "higher mileage formula" for a while until they decided on the more sensible "multi-car formula". My guess is that the label caused confusion with people who should have used

10W-30 in their newer cars.
Reply to
y_p_w

OK - I went to a parts store after work - looking for some tools. Then I had a look at the "high-mileage" motor oils (from memory):

Valvoline MaxLife 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40, 20W-50 Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic 5W-30, 10W-30, 20W-50 Chevron High Mileage 10W-30, 10W-40, 20W-50 Havoline High Mileage 10W-30, 10W-40, 20W-50 Pennzoil High Mileage 10W-30, 10W-40, 20W-50 Quaker State High Mileage 10W-30, 10W-40, 20W-50 Mobil Drive Clean Plus 10W-30, 10W-40

Of the "high mileage" oils I saw, only the Quaker State one didn't carry the API donut. The newest (2003) label didn't even claim that it met any API service rating "for performance" like an older bottle (2002) did. I find it a bit strange, since one would think that Pennzoil and Quaker State would have consolidated their formulas when they merged. Now they're part of Shell Oil (AKA Sopus Products).

There's a lot of consolidation going on. The ExxonMobil merger has resulted in the same unique bottle shape for conventional Mobil oil and Exxon Superflo. I'd be surprised if the Havoline and Chevron Supreme oils aren't the same since the ChevronTexaco merger.

Reply to
y_p_w

This is true. But for YEARS, Amsoil lied about the reasons that they did not have API approval on most of their oils. They came up with all sorts of ridiculous excuses about being afraid that their formulations would be stolen, that approval was too expensive (it's very cheap), etc. Finally an Amsoil employee let slip the issue that they could not meet the API standard because the level of one of the additives that they put in was too high, and would shorten the tine that the catalytic converter would function properly. Ironically, Amsoil's non-API oils provide real benefits for vehicles without catalytic converters, i.e. snowmobiles, etc. It was only after all the hullaballoo regarding lack of API certification, that Amsoil came out with their XL-7500 line.

Reply to
Steven M. Scharf