92 Camary Will Not Start Back Up After Shutting Engine Off

The car has 200,000 miles plus on it. The car will start right up after the car has set for awhile but if you drive a mile or so and shut the engine off the car will not start back up. If you wait 30-60 min the car will start back up. The distributor has just been replaced. This is what the last guy that worked on the car said was the problem. This fixed the problem for about two weeks now the problem is back. The computer was swapped out today and this did nothing to fix the problem. Also before the distributor was replaced the car would try to die while you were driving it. You would have to power brake the car at stops to keep it from stalling. I would appreciate all the info that anyone can give me. Is there a way to ckeck codes on this model? I have been told that the car is to old for code checkers? Please Help!!

Reply to
benzbusa

Google "Toyota trouble codes". There are two pretty decent sites, the best one tells you where to jumper the Diag plug and read the codes. I lost the link...

Reply to
hachiroku

Have you tried the dealer service department? The factory service manual has flow charts for tracking problems where one systematically checks various components, typically with a digital multimeter, measuring voltage or resistance against allowable variances. There's a fairly large section in the manual for your year listing all the sensors - temperature, throttle, ECM, secondary electrical, etc. I'd be looking at the spark plug wires, plugs, and especially ignition coil (apply heat from blow dryer and gently tap case while checking) -- also see if the electrical connector to the distributor is making good electrical contact - try cleaning if needed, and connect, then re connect. Your car has OBD 1, where you retrieve codes by jumping the data connector.

Reply to
Daniel

"nospampls20021" wrote: > Have you tried the dealer service department? > The factory service manual has flow charts for tracking > problems where > one systematically checks various components, typically with a > digital > multimeter, measuring voltage or resistance against allowable > variances. > There's a fairly large section in the manual for your year > listing all > the sensors - temperature, throttle, ECM, secondary > electrical, etc. > I'd be looking at the spark plug wires, plugs, and especially > ignition > coil (apply heat from blow dryer and gently tap case while > checking) -- > also see if the electrical connector to the distributor is > making good > electrical contact - try cleaning if needed, and connect, then > re > connect. > Your car has OBD 1, where you retrieve codes by jumping the > data > connector.

I did try to get the codes by jumping the data connector but the check engine light just keeps blinking. I know that i counted up to 150. I got my info on how to do this from another site. I can not remember the name of it but i may be jumping the wrong thing. The site just had codes up to like 70 something that is why i stopped counting at 150. I have read somewhere that it could be the EGR valve or the IAC valve. What do you guys think? Thanks for all your help!

Reply to
benzbusa

i think i have the same problem with a 91, with 135,000. does it act like a dead battery. ie, no click from starter, indicator lights come on then fade if you hold the key in start? rick

Reply to
rickesp

You don't count to 70. The first digit flashes, then the second. An inexpensive Haynes manual lists the procedure and codes, plus has photographs. If the light blinks evenly there are no codes. I think the guy who suggested your battery or cables may be the problem is on the right track. That makes sense because it would only affect starting - with large current draw - not running once started. Plus battery problems are common. Terminal connections, for example can appear fine but not make solid electrical contact. Also check ground connection. Or your battery could have a weak cell. I would guess you'd want to check the codes when the engine didn't run well - ie., some sensor failing.

Reply to
Daniel

You can get an OBD I code checker for about $20.00 and it is a lot easier than jumping connectors. I had a similar problem earlier and even now it rears its ugly head about every six months. When it fails to start I hold the gas all the way down and it starts right up. Don't know why, but it does. I have no reportable codes and this only happens hot once every second harvest moon. Maybe at 400,000+ km the old girl is just moody.

Bill

92 Camry Wagon 420,000 (km)

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Dash Riprock