92 camry 4cyl. ignition coil broken?

Car was intermittently not starting and was hesitating on the highway. Changed cap and rotor, plugs and wires. Repaired o-ring. Everything was great until I was driving along, accelerating, and the car hesitated then died. There was no spark. Checked components as the Haynes manual suggested, and everything seems ok. The coil tests okay, but there is a crack in the poly just above the high tension terminal. It seems as though the spark has arced across and back into the coil. Ever heard of this? New coil should be here tomorrow morning and will install.

I'm a little worried that the igniters or ECM could have become damaged. Any thoughts? Will let you know how it turns out.

Reply to
farmerboy

Camry coils are an issue alot have on old camrys, but usualy it is oil leaking on them, if it is cracked its bad, hope for the best.

Reply to
m Ransley

That fixed it. Replace the coil, car runs better than ever. FYI....coil tested ok according to the book.

Reply to
farmerboy

The coil may pass an ohm-meter test,..but spark leakage to ground (chassis or body which is earth or ground) can rob the plugs of spark. Its often not easy to find exactly which part of the spark system and distribution is faulty. Replacing parts by process of elimination is often the only way.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

My boat coil tested ok, then one day I heard it poping, looked real close and saw it arching, testing is deceptive.

Reply to
m Ransley

Exactly the point, Mark.

Jason