92 Camry sloppy axle

My 1992 2.2L AT Camry shakes really hard accelerating through 45-60mph. I can feel it wobble a little at lower speeds, it's more subtle and seems to follow the wheel speed.

I had all new tires put on, didn't help at all. I suspected the engine mounts since the dogbone was shot, so I replaced the front (totally shot), rear (seemed ok), and dogbone. This helped just a little, the shaking is still really bad. There isn't any clicking when I turn, so I had ruled out the CV joints, but I took a peek anyways and replaced the intermediate shaft bearing (blown) but that didn't help.

I did notice that on the driver side that the tripod case, the part at the engine end of the shaft just before the tranny, was really sloppy in the transmission. Putting my hand on the tripod case i can move it

1-2cm in any direction. Is this likely the cause of my problem? It seems strange that parts in the transmission would be able to move so freely.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions, I've run out of possibilities at this point.

Reply to
wohopto

That could well be it. There have been quite a few posts on the matter of the driveshafts coming adrift from the Camry diff. If yours is sloppy it maybe missing the expanding C-clip which is supposed to stop the shaft from coming out of the diff drive-splines. Unfortunately, and I hope this is not the case, the axle which has movement may mean the diff splines are now worn.

The handbook says to tap the axle into the diff until solid resistance is felt. At this point, the C-clip is supposed to be engaged in the groove machined into the diff-splines. If yours is worn, you maybe able to wrap some thin (a couple of thou thick) shim around your axle splines working the shim into the splines if they are worn or chopped about to take-up the wear,,,,that's about my only advice in that event.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Thanks for the advice, sounds like you know what you're talking about. I'm going to take a look at it when the weather warms again. I hope the differential isn't worn too bad.

Reply to
wohopto