92 Toyota Camry vibrates

I bought this car used and had the tires replaced in august and did wheel alignment and balanced the tires. The car's been fine since then and I never felt any vibration till today. It vibrates a lot when the engine is on and the car is not running (like at a red light) and vibrates whenever i press the accelerator. There are almost no vibrations when i take my foot off the accelerator, but car vibrates again when i brake. The car has about 96K miles on it. Any idea what the problem is?

Reply to
krire

It sounds like time to adjust ignition timing. I have I-4 engine and I tune ignition timing every 30KMiles. It must be 10 degrees according to specs printed under the hood in engine compartment. Or you can replace the timing belt which gets stretched (every 60KMiles). it will shift the timing back to the original position.

Reply to
A A

Check spark plug wires; < 25k ohm resistance each (Factory recommended method)

Or, I remember someone suggesting placing an inductance timing light on the wires to see if they're firing

Or, many have suggested observing plug wires in darkness to look for corona or arcing to ground

Or, if they have an aged appearance with no record of replacement, just go ahead and change the dist. cap, packing, rotor, wires and plugs (use Toyota parts only)

Also check out:

Daniel M. Dreifus

Time for a tune up, plugs, etc. The timing belt retarding timing will not make it run rough as one suggested but should be checked . Retarded timing will loose you power and milage

Reply to
m Ransley