93 camry 2.2 coolant problem

1993 camry 2.2L , having a problem keeping air out of the system, or a flow problem... I replaced both temp sensors, water pump, radiator, stainless steel thermostat...and flushed the system with cleaner, and put 50/50 prestone antifreeze with coolant system protector. I left the cap off the radiator for about 1/2 hour to let the air out of the system, closed it up and it ran fine, but now it seems to either be getting air back into it or flow stopping?? i have no idea whats going on with this thing.

If im driving along at 60 and let off , it wants to stall unless i rev it up and its fine again for a few mins. now, when i rev it up the check engine light comes on quick and goes out and also the temp guage goes past HOT untill the motor settles to low rpms again... sounds like either air or flow stopping

HELP!!!!!

Reply to
Honda2nr

Also i have left the cap off and watched it for about 15 mins, I can see it flowing through the radiator, then it slows down and comes up to the top of the cap for a minute, then the fans kick on and the coolant goes back down in the radiator and flows faster again....

Reply to
Honda2nr

Honda2nr wrote:

++++++++++++++

=================== I'm a great believer in keeping your Toyota all Toyota. Someone posted a photo of what looks like a brand new radiator inlet after 15 years and 228,000 miles of Toyota red coolant and distilled water. On my 1977 Toyota truck, when the NAPA water pump went out - this is the third water pump since I've owned the truck, so this time I bought a Toyota water pump, and decided to change over to Toyota coolant and distilled water at the same time. Had been using Prestone green and water from the hose previously and my fairly new radiator was already developing scale on the tubes in the upper tank. Sounds like a thermostat problem to me. I'd try a different thermostat. Make sure it has a "jiggle valve" and orient it in line with the cast in mark on the inlet hose - roughly 12:00 o'clock. That jiggle valve is an air bleed valve and I've never had any problem with trapped air in the cooling system on the same engine. There is a temperature sensor in the lower radiator tank for the radiator fans. Should be that engine has to get quite hot before those fans come on, then if your radiator and water pump are operating correctly, the fans usually go off in a matter of a minute or two, even idling in very hot weather. Personally, I've never seen a cooling system as effective as the one in that engine, high speed, idling in summer with a/c on, long uphill acceleration, needle never moves off just below center on the gauge. Also make sure your thermostat isn't reversed. The short domed side with the temperature stamp faces out.

Reply to
Daniel

The stainless steel thermostat does not have a "jiggle valve" , but the one i took out did have one and i had cut it so the coolant would just flow and stay cold , so i cant try that right now so i guess im going to the parts store to get a cheap thermostat and try the 1200 jiggle valve idea...

Reply to
Honda2nr

Thermostat is one of the few OEM components I'll use. For just a few dollars more, get an OEM thermostat. Pick up a gallon of concentrate red coolant with coupon (I think around $13-14?). Use only DISTILLED water with the coolant and never use tap water.

If the dealer has only the pink pre-dilluted stuff with hybrid organic acid technology then you might want to consider the new Prestone non-Dexcool universal coolant. I plan to use it with distilled water when the "factory red" stops selling. I don't think you can find green silicated Prestones nowadays, which is a good thing. They wear out the water pumps sooner.

If you have air in the system (right next to the temp sensors), you'll get that reading problem. If you use the correct thermostat and still keep getting air in the system, then you still have a leak somewhere. With new sensor, water pump, radiator replaced, how about hoses and heater core? (Not that they are the problems) If those are fine then another source of air in the system is a leaky head gasket.

H> 1993 camry 2.2L , having a problem keeping air out of the system, or a

Reply to
johngdole

Consider the chance that you've got a blown head gasket as well.

Compression gas can vent into the coolant system and appear to be air. Overheating naturally results.

Reply to
Keith