93 Camry - fuse blown? bad relay? need help.

I've needed to use the air conditioner in my Camry a few times this spring. It ran fine a few times and then I noticed that the fan was blowing but the green led on the air conditioner button was flashing. I turned it off and back on and the AC came back on. It seemed like it would happen when the car was idling at a traffic light. I figured that the belt might be bad or just need to be tightened. Last Saturday it happened again. I turned it off and on. It ran for a few seconds and the same thing happened. I waited till I got past the traffic light and turned it on again. The light went out and the fan stopped. I figured that I blew a fuse. I soon found out that the power windows, sun roof, and speedometer quit working as well. I'm pretty sure that I check all relevant fuses under the hood and in the fuse box behind the coin holder door. I'm pretty sure there weren't any blow fuses. Could it be a relay? Could I have missed the fuse? Are there any hidden fuses that I should look for? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Murff

Unfortunately, I have temporarily lost my manual, but I do remember that Toyota did do some odd things like fuse unrelated facilities from the same fuse.

The flashing AC light is a warning that either refridgerant head-pressure has gone too low (leak) or too high (insufficient cooling of the condensor for example) Things like you have mentioned may well be the cause. Make sure once you have restored power, that the AC fan operates with AC "on" and that the condensor which sits in front of the radiator has clear airflow thru its core and the radiator core. The real cause I suspect is low refridgerant seeing the car is a '93. My '95 had a bad compressor (was making lots of noise) and while it cost a fair bit to repair the end result is really good AC which is relatively trouble -free.

Your electrical fault will be fuse(s) rather than a relay as relays are in

*each* facility, and thus are not likely to all fail together. Quickly selecting and deselecting the AC can cause a blown fuse or fusible link as the compressor clutch is a high-current inductive load (coil or solenoid ). This kind of load can cause high current spikes if operated on and off quickly which may have taken out a major common fuse or fusible link which also supplies other things on the car.

A workshop manual for about $30 or so will provide circuit diagrams indicating electrical distribution and protection.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James