93 camry readiing hot

okay today for the first time the camry started acting funny.. it went from 50% on the cold to hot gauge.. to 100% in matter or 2 to 3 sec.. is this usual for a car to change in temperature.. this quickly.. I was traveling about 70 mph and the temperature outside was 44 degrees F...

let me know what you guys think..

-eddy

Reply to
Eduardo Guevara

--
WARNING!!: SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION BELOW!
Net Syndrome -- www.netsyndrome.net

In news:tDhWb.21284$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com, Eduardo Guevara being of bellicose mind posted:

Typically a dash mark less than 50% is about 190 degrees. The RED (melt) mark is about 260 degree. Not possible to gain 70 degrees in three seconds. SO ... you've got a sensor problem or a grounding problem.

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

I was hoping that was the case..

-eddy

Reply to
Eduardo Guevara

Umm I strongly suspect a head gasket failure! check you coolant level.

Reply to
Mar1

Hey Eduardo, The temp gauge on my 87 Camry also acts weird like that. I found out that it is my gauge that is bad. Just to be safe check:

1) Coolent- Open the radiator cap when the engine is cold and check for oil in the coolent. Also check for a good level. Oil in the coolent might mean bad news. 2) Thermostat- Replace thermostat in case it is failing.

3) Check engine temperature as someone else here suggested.

Fallow the advise from other guys here.

Reply to
B.F.