93 Camry V6 Squel

We have a 93 Camry Wagon with a V6, theres been a mild whiring sound for a few months but not load at all, anyways as soons as we got a very cold day the whir turned into a horrific ear hurting squel (Like bearing failure) Next day warm out again, start it to check, and just a whir (although slightly loauder now)

THe whir seems to be coming from underneath the timing belt cover (When it squels it is so loud you cant even bear to listen to it cause it hurts your ears so but sounds like tis coming from tioming belt general area)

RIght now I am thinking the its going to be the timing belt idler pulley. SO I plan going ahead and chaging the timing belt, idler pulley and tensioner. I should also consider changing the water pump, and check oil pump crank seals?

Any thoughts or suggestion on what it is or could be? Is there one or two idler pulleys on the V6? Anyone think of anything else I should consider to change?

Reply to
tekguy4

Noises coming from under the cover are difficult to pinpoint. The idler pulley was more clonking in my case. The squaling can be from PS pump. Make sure that you communicate "I want the noise fixed", rather than replace this or that.

Depending on when you had the coolant pump and timing belt done, it may make sense to do those, while "fixing" te noise, even if it's not one of those.

Rich

Reply to
RichK

its not the power sterring pump, all I can desctribe it as a metal on metal shrilling squel sound, never heard anything like it, and when I say ear hurting loud, I mean I popped hood to listen and it literaaly hurt my ears to the point they where still ringing an hour later. Loudest thing I ever heard, its so loud thats it impossible to say anything else besides that when it happens it the left (passenger side) of engine

I would think that if it was a internal bearing the motor would have exploded already, but what do I know, if someone else has heard a sound like this they would defintely remember it

Reply to
tekguy4

Its something which is driven by the toothed cam-belt, or something close by ie alternator, ps pump, AC compressor and any associated tensioning jockey wheels.

If it is coming from under the cam-belt-cover,..then it is advisable to have the water-pump replaced (as long as it wasnt done withing the last 40000 or so) and all the oil-seals (these are cheap). The actual noise itself sounds like a dry, bearing which is falling apart,..it *may* be in the water-pump or it could be as you say,..one thing is for sure, a bearing which is making that noise will not feel smooth and rigid (laterally) when turned by hand,..so it aint rocket science once the alternator. ps pump and AC-comp are eliminated and the mechy goes under the cam-cover,..it will make itself easy to find once all tension is removed when the belts are off.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I saw a recommendation by a mechanic in Texas some time ago, and I've chosen to follow his sugguestion. ========================== =========================== We replace the VC gasket and tube seals, cam seal, front crank seal, oil pump seal, oil pump oring, tensioner (add spring) and idler bearings, drive belts, water pump and thermostat as well as the timing belt. We use only OE or OEM parts. That repair here in Austin is about $950

(then for my own purposes I added:)

add: PCV valve and grommet, radiator cap, fuel filter, timing belt cover gaskets, alternator brushes and holder (part number "27370-35060", this is brushes and holder), wiper blades, gas cap, =================== =================== Just my opinion. I prefer to just change all the parts when doing the timing belt, then you know you're set until the next scheduled maintenance. Where you are now, just plan on changing the idlers and water pump at a minimum.

Reply to
Daniel