93 Camry Won't Start - Jumped Timing

Seasons greetings, I have a 93 4 cylinder with 206,000 miles and original timing belt. A few months ago the car died and the coil (in the distributor) was the problem. Replaced it and all was well. So last week the car died and would not start. Firestone (what a joke) said it needed a new distributor and ignitor for a nice sum of $1,600. The car happened to be across the street from a Firestone when it died so I let them look at it.

Replaced the ignition control module and it still won't start. Put a spark tester on the wires and it tests good for spark. The rotor turns. I smelled gas when I pulled the plugs so I assume it is getting gas. Sprayed ether into the intake and it still won't start.

I am guessing it has jumped a notch or tow on the timing belt? The car spins over like it has compression so I don't think the timing belt is broke. I am planning on checking the timing this coming weekend to see if that is the case.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately at 206K miles and a broke AC and likely needing a timing belt, I might just have to call the junk yard to tow it away.

Thanks! Les

Reply to
les

from years of experience with another 93 Camry, 4 cyl, and 275,000 miles . . . . sounds like a timing belt replacement is way overdue. you can do a timing belt replacement if you have time, some tools and patience or have it done for about $250 to $350 at an independent garage.

Reply to
fireant