93 Won't Start, Timing Belt or Ignition Problems Options - Update

Greetings, a few weeks back I made the post below. Well, the timing belt is not broke (201K and counting)! Yeah! The rotor did turn when turning over the motor. Turns out the secondary windings on the internal coil were way out of spec.

So now replacing the internal coil, the water temp sensor which was rotten and fell off when I touched it and the $12 distributor gasket.

My new question is: I marked the distributor so I can keep the car in time so I am good there. But I am not 100% sure if my rotor was pointing up or down (180 degrees). I think it was pointing up. Should I put it together and try to start it and if it won't start turn the distributor 180? Will that cause any problems trying to start it with it 180 degrees off?

Thanks for everyone's help!

The car died suddenly yesterday. Now it won't start. I did the fuel pump test and I am pretty sure I have fuel pressure.

I think I am not getting spark. I removed a plug wire and saw no spark jumping when turning the motor over.

My question is if the timing belt broke, should I still get spark? My car is the 4 cylinder type and I believe it is the "breakerless" ignition system with an internal coil.

The motor doesn't sound any different when I try to start it so I doubt the timing belt broke. However, at 201K it is a certain possibility."

Reply to
les

Yes

No

Reply to
NickySantoro

Autozone's free guide offers some guidance on how to time the distributor:

johngdole

BTW Les, it would be a good time to do a timing job:

(earlier

prices for 3/5SFE) GATES TCK199 (kit of timing belt with two pulleys and instruction) $84.79 GATES Part # K030295 PS belt $4.32 GATES Part # K050435 Alt/AC $12.12 FEL-PRO TCS45641 Cam seal $4.11 FEL-PRO TCS45920 Crank seal $6.04 BCA Part # 221820 Oil pump seal $2.71 your local NAPA store has Airtex water pump FEL-PRO VS50304R valve cover gasket set $13.94

johngdole