94 Camry - Battery positive terminal corrosion - how to replace

Hi,

Recently, for 1994 toyota camry LE, it is taking 4 to 5 attemps to crank the engine. It is very intermittent. So far from your help I understood that it could be

  1. Starter problem
  2. Battery contacts / Cable problem

I took the starter to near by NAPA store and he tested on his bench test and confirmed it is working great. And he suggested me to clean up the battery contacts with Wire brush. For Few months it helped and the problem is showing again.

I cleanup Battery contact and don't see any corrosion sludge around. So I am guessing Positive terminal corrosion.

How to change the Positive terminal cable ??

Is it the cable from Starter to battery or any other points also to be changed ??

Appreciate your help.

Regards, Rama

Reply to
Ramakrishna Devisetti

The links below should get you started. If you battery is having real corrosion problems, it may be doing some excessive outgassing, which could mean it is being overcharged -- doubtful from what you said -- or it could be on its last legs.

Anyway, check the positive cable, as noted in the autozone link below. And, if you need further cleaning instructions, the second link should help.

Finally, the third link is a discussion about battery terminal sealer spray. I have used this on my batteries for 20 years and have never had a corrosion problem. Some people say they collect dirt, and as noted in the article, they do, but it has never been aproblem for me....

I always "splurge" and buy a can of the spray-on battery terminal

timbirr

I just has the same issue, intermittant no crank. For me it was the Neg terminal, and cleaning terminals is not enough, you must clean inside the terminal clamps on the cable, For apx 3$ get a tool that has a Teriminal brush and Post brush built into a plastic housing. Its the perfect tool to do the job easily and right. It is 2 tools in one with a wire terminal brush hidden in the cap, and battery post brush in he base. Wash the battery clean with soap and water being sure to clean well around each terminal, A dirty battery conducts electricty around the case , it can self discharge in 6 months with dirt on it. Also recomended is grease on the terminals to keep air from acelerating corrosion. If you have more time free on your hands mix up Baking soda and water and pour it over the battery and down , it neutralises battery acid. But dont get it in Fill Holes, Also Check that " maintenance free" battery, most tops pop off, fill with distilled water to the bottom of the O ring. If that does not help look at your Starter connections or for broken battery cables, Yes in time they break inside and it is not visable. Once I had to replace mine in the rain in the road, Not fun.

Reply to
m Ransley

You say you don't see any corrosion around the battery terminals, so I'm not sure how cleaning them would help. Just make sure the battery cables are not loose - check to see they don't wiggle with hand pressure. If they're making good electrical contact and there's no sign of corrosion, the first place I'd check for a starter problem would be the copper contacts in the solenoid. These carry the full current when starting, and do wear over time. They are inexpensive to replace and the most common problem with older Toyota starters. I'm guessing the bench test at NAPA with zero load might not have revealed this problem.

Reply to
Daniel

I did not see any corrosion either, but remove the terminal, it is inside where there is contact of battery to cable.

Reply to
m Ransley