94 Camry (LE-4cyl-121K miles) - What is the right Engine Oil ??

Hi,

I have 1994 Camry LE 4Cyl and121K mileage. I am in California and Temperature is around 60-70F. Yesterday I went to NAPA auto store for Engine Oil . One of the representative suggested to use 20W-50 type as the car has higher mileage and old. He gave me the oil with NAPA store brand.

Previously I was using Penzoil 10W-40 and working well.

So 20W-50 is a good choice compared to 10W-40 ?? And also any specific brands are recommended to use ??

Thanks, Rama

Reply to
Ramakrishna Devisetti

Regarding the weight, what does your owner's manual say? I am betting it will say 10W30 or 5W30.

As for type of oil, look for the API SL or SM logo on the bottle.

For some good reading, check out

.
Reply to
Curtis Newton

The oil viscosity is marked on the oil filler cap and in the Owner's manual:

10W30.

120,000 miles is just getting started for that engine if you've been taking care of it. Would not recommend 20W50 - use the proper viscosity. If you've been changing the oil and filter regularly, and dissasembled the engine, you'll likely find minimal wear. If you were at 250,000 miles and buring oil, then you might consider

20W50.
Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus
20-50 is way too thick, 10w-30 is perfect. I prefer Pennzoil High mileage oil. It has additives that help the seals stay in better shape...Purolator filters are OK to use. My 97 4 cyl has 190,000 miles no oil leaks and uses very little oil between changes.
Reply to
ROBMURR