94 camry le v6 something wrong with the idling.

it was almost an accident, last Monday I drive my 94 camry le V6 auto tranny, with 390000km on it on 401 heading warden in a traffic jam and it was a very huge jam such that my car moved only a few inches each minute.

about half an hour since I got into the jam, that I noticed something wrong with my idling speed (since I always put to N during stop), the rpm went up to 800rpm which wasn't normal. so I stepped a bit on the throttle, and the RPM reaches 1000RPM and didn't DROP down! it somehow freaken me out, and as I put into D, I can actually feel the impact of such a high rpm the car kinda had a very strong tendence to go forward.

I was so friggin, that I shut the engine and restarted it again, the RPM still keeps at 1000RPM... then I did a mistake to even give a more throttle, then it reaches 2000RPM and didn't drop down either.... I was totally friggen out. shutdown, then restart, no use, idling RPM stayed at 2000RPM..

so I have to move on since it's not wise to stuck in highway with a dangerous car, so I have to put it into D and drive on, at 2000RPM put into D gave my car a huge impact, and almost crashed into front car, I stepped on break very HARD to prevent it from moving on...I actually can feel the car had a very strong tendency to go forward despite I pressed the break pedal.

finally, I managed to escape the highway and drove only on the locals at

20km/h with both emergency lights on. The car actually felt exactly as someone was keep pressing the throttle pedel which if I let off break, the car will get to up to 60km/h.... so I put it on the 2nd gear to prevent the tranny from shifting to higher gears.. finally I managed to maintain a steady speak at 40km/h with 2nd gear at 2000RPM.

and not far from my home, suddenly the RPM drops and the car acted totally normal again, step on throttle the RPM went up and let off throttle the RPM drops immediately.. wooooollaaa... problem was gone and I happily got home.

the next day I checked the throttle body, throttle valve, and see no signs of stucking, or even if the throttle body was stucking, the gas pedal must feel very soft as I tested to jam a screw drive into the throttle valve, so it's confirmed not the valve problem.

it was exactly like if you give some gas, the engine will keep giving that much amount of gas despite you let of the gas pedal. So if it reaches RPM

2000, it'll keep staying there.

it was an very old camry and I only plan to keep it until next year, what service you people recommand to go thru? or does anyone of you know this kinda of problem? I haven't been driving it for a week that being afraid of the problem will come back again and cause more trouble. It seems that it's been initiated during a heavy jamming and gone when the traffic was good going through(locals).

THANK YOU

Reply to
grape

Your idle air control valve may be sticking open. A malfunctioning thermal vacuum valve. Or you may have an air leak allowing for the same effect as opening the throttle.

Reply to
johngdole

if there's a leak or stuck, then the RPM should stay in a specific range, right? now the point is that, it will stay where I put it to... doesn't drop down, I guess even if I push throttle to rev up to 7000RPM, it will stay there too....

do you think the idle air control valve will corresponding to my throttle ? or, the maximum air flow in idle valve will allow such a high 2000RPM?

I got quote from some shop, the diag will cost $1500.. pugh.. I want to determine the problem first, then I'll do the repair myself.

Reply to
grape

Yeah, hard to tell. But you did clean the throttle body right and confirmed no sticking throttle plate right? I didn't see any mention of the IAC.

2000 RPM by IAC maybe, but even the IAC can't hold the throttle at 7000rpm. I would think only a sticking throttle plate will cause that or other sources of air into the engine.

The position sensor you can check with an ohm meter. But fuel without air isn't going to push up the rpm that high IMHO.

Reply to
johngdole

BTW, do you have cruise control in your car??

Reply to
johngdole