94 Camry vibration STILL not resolved - plz help

Hey all.. thanks for reading this. I know there have been a ton of posts in this NG about Camry vibration, and I've read as many as I could find but I've still got the problem. So here goes my rant:

94 Camry LE 4-cyl 167k miles

The car vibrates at idle (like at a traffic light) ALOT. Vibration almost completey ceases if I shift it up into neutral or park. It doesn't vibrate during driving at any speed. It only vibrates at idle.. as soon as I hit the gas, vibration's gone. Also, the vibration is MUCH more severe during colder weather.

*replacements I've made recently:* radiator & radiator cap (~6 months ago) dog bone mount (it was cracked) front mount (hydraulic, aftermarket) spark plugs (NGK) wires (Xact) distributor cap distributor (reman.) rotor fuel filter (i know toyota says you dont ever need to replace it, but what the hell) air filter

*repairs:* wheel balance & rotation & tire pressure adjustment removed & cleaned throttle body (including spraying carb cleaner in the IAC valve hole as described in several posts here) oil change using DuraLube & valvoline high mileage 10w-30 & PureONE filter

*planned repairs/replacements:* valve cover gasket gas & oil caps

had my timing checked at the dealer, said it was fine. I've used Redline intermittently several months ago, am considering using it again as I'm quickly running out of affordable options.

a DIY techie friend of mine told me about a method to clean the fuel injectors. he described pulling one of the vacuum hoses that feeds into the throttle body and pouring fuel injector cleaning into it. he said i'd have to rev the engine up to 2-3k to get it to work through. the cleaner "Seafoam" describes a similar process (pouring it into a vacuum). Any ever try this, or have any luck with it? My check engine light has never come on. The car drives smoothly, accelerates without hestitation, doesnt make too much noise.

So finally heres my list of annoying questions for you infinitly patient people :>

I read a couple posts about people pinpointing the problem to their exhaust. Is is possible that a loose/worn/ whatever something in my exhaust can cause the entire engine and car to vibrate at idle? But then it goes away when I shift up into Neutral. I've used fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank before, prior to using Redline (which, BTW, i think did make some noticeable improvement). Would it be worth doing a fuel system cleaning at a shop? Would I be better off pulling the injectors out myself and cleaning them outside the engine since all the shops do inline cleaning only? I've never replaced my O2 sensors. Can I check them somehow? Could they cause vibration? I ask only because the vibration seems to be worse in colder weather, so I think its because of some air-related component. I did a quick (not too thorough) inspection of my vacuum hoses, and they seem to be working according to my Haynes manual. Any possibility that the vibration could be caused by something up around there? Another friend of mine said its the "torque converter" in the transmission. I've never heard of this before but he seemed very confident about it. He does all his own car work and said his sister's car had the same problem. Anyone ever hear of this?

any opinions/ideas/suggestions/criticisms even flames are more than welcome.

-elric-

Reply to
no_email

[snipped]

If you have replaced two of the motor mounts you should check the third one very carefully. It is possible that one is damaged also from the force it took when the others failed.

Reply to
badgolferman

How low is the rpm when it vibrates. does it show good firing on a scope at idle. Coil and voltage in and out are something you could check. I had that issue Bosch 4s cured it.

Reply to
m Ransley

The dogbone mount was cracked at one end.. Others recommended changing the front one too, saying that if the dogbone broke, then chances are its b/c of the front mount. But when I removed and inspected the front mount, it

*looked* fine. I emphasized *looked* because I dont really know its condition by just visually inspecting it. Any advice on how to check the rear mount without removing it?

Thanks

Reply to
sorry

I didn't feel up to changing the rear one so I let Toyota take care of that one.

It might be possible to tell by inspecting for hydraulic fluid on it. Otherwise sometimes you can tell by holding the brake down and gunning the engine. If it moves "excessively" then the mount is probably bad. I was never able to completely eliminate the vibration in my 94 Camry with 164K when I sold it. However my vibration was at a speed range between 35-50 MPH. At idle it was pretty smooth.

Let me just say I am no auto expert. What I tell you is merely my experience. It may be something else entirely. Perhaps you have an electrical or vacuum problem.

Reply to
badgolferman