95 Camry DVD MP3 Player

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a Head Unit that can play MP3s burnt to a DVD. I dont need a screen or anything, and i'm not trying to spend a whole lot. Just trying to put lots of albums to a DVD and use only one disk.

any suggestions?

smowk

Reply to
Smowk

I would put

but I have become disenchanted with their products. Back in the late

70's/80's you couldn't beat an Alpine cassette deck. I have had 2 (used) Alpine CD players, and they suck. I have an Alpine cassette in my '85 Corolla, put it in in '93 and the thing is bullet-proof.

I have a JVC in my Supra that was in the Tercel before that. Works great. I have a Sony Xplode in my '85 Celica and in an '83 Tercel wagon, they work and sound well but have some issues with the face plates, they can read CD text. Right now the JVC is my favourite because of some of the features. I haven't tried an Aiwa yet, but I tink I will soon, becauses everything else I have from Aiwa sounds very good and works very well. If they followed through as well on their car stereos, they should be worth a look.

Reply to
hachiroku

hachiroku wrote in news:pBK%d.11948$Ue6.3920@trndny04:

NOT ONE of those 4 companies have one. I've yet to find an In-Dash DVD player that supports MP3s burned to a DVD-R.

Reply to
Smowk

Laptop..................... and headphones.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

I'm sorry...I didn't RTFQ! No, I have been looking for one myself and have yet to find one. Each of these offers a CD MP3 reader, but not DVD's yet.

I loaded quite a few MP3s onto a DVD; I can imagine it's going to have to be a unit with a motorized screen to allow room for file management...

Check out Pioneer; they're always 1 step ahead of the game. i haven't poked around Eclipse's web site yet. And believe it or not, Panasonic sometimes snipes everyone else.

Reply to
hachiroku

Clarion VS715 in-dash DVD/MP3 Player

Panasonic CQ-D5501U

There's a couple. It seems there are a lot of 'junk' brands from God Knows Where that are offering them, but they are just starting to come out from the name-brands MFG's. Pioneer does offer one too. Do your searching carefully: in dash dvd audio seems to work...

Reply to
hachiroku

Get an Aiwa with an Aux Input and a stereo patch cable from the audio out of the Laptop.

What were those little itty bitty machines? Libretto? I saw (on line) a Prius with one attached to the bottom of the dash in the console to monitor engine/electrical functions. Dude did all the programming himself. Talk about nerds...

Reply to
hachiroku

Oh No!!!! He's a VW Hack!!!! (At least they're BEETLES!!!) Remind me sometime to tell you of my experiences with VW owners (and bear in mind where I live is more liberal than San Fransisco, if that's possible...)

Reply to
hachiroku

Most of the companies sell an MP3/DVD/VCD/Cd player, but for some odd reason, they don't support DVD-Rs...weird

Reply to
Smowk

hachiroku wrote in news:heN%d.15379$qN3.4815@trndny01:

If you look closely...like i said before...duh...

these will play mp3s burned to a CD, as well as a DVD Video disk, but not MP3s burned to a DVD

Next suggestion...lol

smowk

Reply to
Smowk

Hey, I never said reading was a strong point!

I'd take a trip down to Circuit City or Tweeter (Tweeter if you've got extra bucks you don't know what to do with...) and check them out first hand. Or a store that specializes only in car electronics. They're pricey but they tend to get the cutting edge stuff ahead of anyone else.

As far as DVD-R, remember how long it took before car cd players would accept CD-Rs? I would expect the curve won't be quite as long, but it will take a while. I would guess the biggest problem is formats; there are 4 DVD formats out there for DVD-Rs. The burners that will burn all 4 formats are getting less expensive, but to carry this to car audio will probably start a format war, similar to the Betamax/VHS deal. It'll probably take a year or so before MFG's settle on formats, and I wouldn't expect anyone to hit the stage with a player that uses all 4 formats anytime too soon.

Sit back, relax, and buy an MP3 player that plays CD-Rs for now. I remember reading an announcement for audio DVD-Rs back in November or December, so base the curve off that...

Reply to
hachiroku

hachiroku wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ae86.gts:

good call...i think i'll do that

thanks

Reply to
Smowk

As Long as they are...........AIRCOOLED beetles.

I am currently cutting the herd down a bit to accommodate a real attempt at building the Dune Buggy. It's gonna be a lot of work.

I am down to just 6 VW's in the backyard now........at one time I had over 13 cars in my yard..............and many partial ones too.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Here's my best suggestion so far, but your gonna have to buy some amps for it too.

Crutchfield is a good source for car audio nerds to get a good price on "new" car audio and even some decent home stuff.

Take a look.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

I am a gadget freak! I love gadgets; I'm usually one step behind in what I actually own (I let the Early Adopters works the bugs out and get the prices down...) But i also love 'vintage' stuff, too; I just bought a Kenwood 3 head cassette deck for $12, early 80's. Because: 1: my wife never returned the one I already had (and piad $299 for in 1981) and I have two cars thet still have cassettes (Chrysler/Infinity. Nobody can tell me if the amp is common ground or not...)

As I said, I just heard about the DVD MP3 players in Nov or Dec; my guitarist, who's into gadgets as much or more than I told me about them.

So, I did some searching: JVC, my current favourite brand, makes one that can play up to 256 files on one CD-R. Kenwood also makes a good one, and a brand I forgot about: Clarion. Clarions are decent units too, very good radios. I haven't looked at Eclipse yet. They are made by Fujitsu-Ten; Clarion and F-T are OEM MFG's of radios for Toyota. The Clarions were the base level; OK sound but stunning radio reception, the Fujitsu unit feature great sound and a Knock-Out tape section but lacking in radio reception. Fujitsu has gone on to make the Eclipse line, which from what I have seen (and heard in showrooms and installing one for an old friend of mine) they are still dynamite sounding units, probably the best out there right now. My fave used to be Kenwood, but I haven't kept up with their products in the near past.

Reply to
hachiroku

Wow! It does play all formats, but it still doesn't say DVD-MP3. Chances are it might be video only...

Reply to
hachiroku

hachiroku wrote in news:pan.2005.03.23.15.58.07.621000 @ae86.gts:

i was thinking the same thing...

Reply to
Smowk

The only thing to do would be to go the their web page and e-mail Tech Support...

Reply to
hachiroku

Yep, I agree with emailing their tech support. Typically Sony is first with almost all technolgy releases, but that does not mean they are always best. I have had lots of experience with theor Car Audio stuff, and generally they are just mediocre. I think , from what I know of DVD stuff, the likelihood is slim that the unit I pointed to will do what you want, but it was the first Name Brand unit that had all those features.

Good luck though.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®