'95 Camry power steering help?

My power steering is off and on... if I crank the steering to both sides it seems to help the power steering work better, although I don't always have to do this. I thought there might be a belt that needs tightening, but there doesn't seem to be one. Any other ideas? Is it time to replace the pump? Just wondering before I bring it in to the mechanic, so I don't get ripped off too badly. Thanks to all.

Reply to
Some1

They can install fresh fluid and check the belt tension. Yes. There is a belt. You remove the left front tire for access. If you look carefully with a flashlight from above you should be able to see it. I regularly press down on the power steering belt with an index finger for a sort of rough check of belt tension because after I installed the new belt, it did require adjustment. After that has been OK though. One of the regular maintenance procedures recommended by Toyota is checking belt tension. They recommend a Burroughs belt tension gauge, which I found on eBay. Works well on the A/C, alternator belt, but not enough room to use on the power steering belt. There I use a small "click" type belt gauge I got long ago from Mercedes. I understand NAPA may now sell a similar belt tension gauge. In my opinion it helps to use a gauge. First time I checked the belts (far as I know the prior owner had the dealer do the replacement with the timing belt) they were about thirty pounds off.

Reply to
Daniel

I had always been a bit hesitant to tension belts right up to their correct amount, as I thought it may put too much load on water-pump, (not the case for a Camry,..driven off cam-belt)alternator or PS pump etc,..however I've since realised the correct tension is way off the amount to accelerate bearing wear in said auxcillaries.

The belt will stretch to an extent,..and I suspect mechanics probably over tension slightly in the knowledge the belt will stretch and come back to near the correct tension.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James