95 Camry Stalling Problem

Hello, My Mother has a 1995 Camry with 64000 miles that has a stalling issue. After driving at 50-55 mph for a few minutes when you slow down the engine "Hicups" and then wants to die completely and usually does. It always starts back immediately. She has taken it to 2 mechanics and the Toyota dealership here in town. First the ISC valve was cleaned, then replaced with a used part. Didn't work. Then she was told it was the battery cable and that was replaced. Last but not least Toyota said it was "definately" the distributor and that was replaced. Still doing the same thing. They say now to change it again, that we must have gotten a defective part. She is getting frustrated spending $ after $. She just retired so I hate to see her strap herself down with a new car payment. This happens quite often but not everytime. Have you guys ever heard of this and if so any ideas? Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Gal

Reply to
Galneedsanswers

Does it happen when humid or after a rain after it just warms up, and then it could be normal after an hour, then it could be the coil, was the coil replaced.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks for the reply. I just know the complete distributor was replaced. Is that the coil? It happens in any climate condition, it's not particular. My father is putting another distributor on it now to determine if it was a defective part. Hate to part with a 64000 mile Camry but I understand her frustrations.

Reply to
Galneedsanswers

inho the '95 Camry with 64,000 miles is one of the best cars you'll find. Sounds like the mechanics have already taken too much money from her. Try to find someone who can follow the procedures in the factory service manual for troubleshooting. There are specific tests for each item in the distributor, pick up coil resistances, etc. There are flow charts in the manual that allow the mechanic to trouble shoot symptoms by following step by step. You can find the manuals online. Check the engine section, under ignition and you will see the procedures for testing. Sounds like you've got a component that fails when warmed up to operating temperature. One possibility might be that the coolant temperature sensor is malfunctioning, causing the engine computer to supply the wrong fuel mixture at idle. This would be an inexpensive solution and save a great car. Properly maintained, that year lasts forever. However, you need to find the right service personnel. I know of no other field where you pay for ineffective work - impelled me to learn to do all my own service on the car. You can find the Factory Service Manuals for your car online here:

Daniel

Thank you Daniel. I have printed off the ignition manual and will pass it along to my father this evening. (They are divorced but he is trying to help :o) Maybe the answer is in there somewhere. Really appreciate your time!

Reply to
Galneedsanswers

The coil is seperate from the distributor, Replacing it makes no sence to me as it is mechanical. Your problem could be fuel related or something else, but the coils are known issues.

Reply to
m Ransley

I had a similar problem but with a Ford Escort. It'd stall when I slowed down and depressed the clutch. Turned out it was the EGR valve.

Hope that's of some help. Fotofreak

Reply to
Fotofreak