96 Camry - replace valve cover, plenum gaskets?

Recently I had a Toyota dealer replace the timing belt and do some other minor maintenance on my 1996 Camry V-6, with 128,000 miles. Afterward, the dealer noted several more items and cost estimates, including EFI flush and coolant flush.

But #1 on the list was "Valve cover gaskets, plenium gasket starting to leak." The labor was estimated at 5.5 hours, with a total cost of $594.

This is a chunk-o-change for me. Does it really take 5.5 hours for this, or is this something I could tackle myself? (I'm handy with tools, and sort-of know my way around engines; I completely rebuilt a Chrysler 318 V-8 years ago.)

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Mike

Reply to
mike

The valve cover gasket do leak over time. The front looks easy but the rear can be a bear. To get to the rear you have to take off the plenum, and that's probably why it's listed. Not that the plenum gasket will leak that often.

If there is just some seepage you might want to leave it for now. Try retorquing first. But if it's dripping then you should change it. You may be able to reuse the metal plenum gasket. But replacing any gasket upon removal is standard practice.

While you are in there, consider taking off the lower intake manifold and change out the coolant hose if not already done. I prefer a Gates hose.

If you change coolant regularly using distilled water then there should be no need for a coolant flush. Besides, caustic chemical isn't that good for the cooling system IMHO. Is your cooling system full of rust and minerals? Or do you see clean metal through the new coolant your recent service should have filled?

I personally won't go for the dealer EFI service. If you want EFI cleaning, buy a bottle of Chevron Techron additive ($5). Today's gas already has a minium level of additives per regulation. For real fuel injector service, you have to take them off and send them to a specialized shop where they will pattern the injector spray before and after cleaning ($$$).

A quick search

FEL-PRO Part # VS50471R $28.79 FEL-PRO Part # MS92766 $53.79

plus RTV $3-$5

What did they changed with the timing belt? The water pump too?

snipped-for-privacy@mdodd.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Thanks for the info about the gaskets. I guess I'll save my pennies and have the dealer do the work in a few months. There are some drips on the driveway, but nothing major; maybe I will re-torque and see if that helps.

I specifically asked the dealer to replace the timing belt, nothing more, so they didn't change anything else. The other belts look okay to me; I think they were changed a while back.

Mike

Reply to
mike