96 camry stuck in gear when cold

When driving to work, I noticed again (this happens every time my '96 camry is cold) that the engine runs at 2500 rpm when I'm coasting at 45 miles per hour. The tranny finally shifts after a few seconds (when it's warm?).

This only happens when the car is cold. Is this normal, or is this a problem?

Reply to
mrdarrett

The overdrive wont engage till apx 110f. Running 2500 on a cold motor is very bad as thick oil can make the filter bypass. Let ther car warm up or you risk a short life.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks!

Mike Darrett