'96 Camry Transmission Fluid Fill

Threaded View
I have a 1996 Toyota Camry - 4 Cylinder.

I wanted to change the transmission fluid so I drained the
transmission fluid by removing the Hex Plug located on the pan bottom,
on the driver side. Approx. 2.5 - 3 quarts drained.

 I now want to (have to) re-fill it with fluid (Dexron II is called
for on the dipstick). Is it OK to use the Transmission Dipstick tube
to re-fill ?  Thanks for the help
--
There can't be a solution if you've "Tried Everything"
mandacat@carolina.rr.com

Re: '96 Camry Transmission Fluid Fill
Did you drain Dexron out or did you drain hypoid out of the
differential? I think on that transmission they are quite separate.

Re: '96 Camry Transmission Fluid Fill

Thanks for the reply.

 I'm not sure. I'll try to explain the Plug's location. It was a 10mm
Hex Plug located on the Bottom of the Pan at the rightmost (closest to
the passenger) side.

 If you look up at the tranny pan from the front of the car, the Plug
is located in the middle of the Pan (Front to Back) and on the bottom
left side.

There can't be a solution if you've "Tried Everything"
mandacat@carolina.rr.com

Re: '96 Camry Transmission Fluid Fill
If it came from the flat pan, then of course it is Dexron, but there is
another plug over there. Might consider flushing the fluid by using the
hoses which connect it to the cooler, and then refill to the mark.

Re: '96 Camry Transmission Fluid Fill

You're right about the other 10mm Hex Plug. As viewed from the front,
it's in back of the Tranny Pan and,as you said, is the differential
housing. It has a separate drain and fill. I'm glad I didn't drain
that by mistake - pain to fill it again. Anyway, I refilled the tranny
this time via the dipstick tube and all is well. BTW, the differential
on the uses Dexron II (III) also ('96 Camry 4 Cyl) - not that I'm
going to change it this time.

Thanks for the help.

There can't be a solution if you've "Tried Everything"
mandacat@carolina.rr.com

Re: '96 Camry Transmission Fluid Fill
Actually it's not that bad to fill the differential.  I use 1/2" clear vinyl
hose attached to a small funnel, or screw on one of those plastic spouts
from gear lube bottles and squeeze the fluid in.

Snake the tube near the firewall to the fill hole, and add fluid.

Re: '96 Camry Transmission Fluid Fill

Thanks for the advice. I'll save that for the next fluid change.

There can't be a solution if you've "Tried Everything"
mandacat@carolina.rr.com

Re: '96 Camry Transmission Fluid Fill

Platil:   From 1989 to date, what year Camrys did >not< have a
separate isolated supply of ATF lubricating the differential gears?
In other words, what years from 1989 had >no< drain plug on the
differential?
--

   ~~Philip

"Never let school interfere
Re: '96 Camry Transmission Fluid Fill
The new Gen 5 Camrys (02-03) in 4 or 6 cyls share their Toyota type IV
fluid.

I think 97-01's w/ V6's went with a shared Dexron II/III system.

As far as I remember, all 4 cyl Camrys from 89-96 have a separate diff using
Dexron II/III.  I THINK 97-01's had diffs too.

89-91 3VZ-FE's had a diff, as did the 94-96 1MZ-FE's.

Re: '96 Camry Transmission Fluid Fill

Platil, all of the above is true, and the last part of the V6, they did
have a seperate drain and fill, but they did share the same fluid. In
fact, you can fill the diff on the earlier V6 rigs till it flowed out,
then install the plug and the tranny was filled perfectly. This is the
A540E transaxle I'm speaking off, later, they did away with the fill
plug on the side of the diff, so it was back to filling it via the
dipstick tube.

Re: '96 Camry Transmission Fluid Fill

Did the person who saved Toyota the costs of the rear fill plug and
required machining get a HUGE raise or early retirement?   LOL
--

   ~~Philip

"Never let school interfere
Re: '96 Camry Transmission Fluid Fill

Philip, no they canned him and the guy who installed dipsticks and
service interval instructions, I have some news I know you wont like. In
2004, Land cruisers and Sequoias will not even have dipsticks, no
service intervals needed, ever! It does use a different fluid also, its
a TW or maybe a WT fluid. Anyway, I'll try to sneak you a preview of the
TSB tomorrow!

Re: '96 Camry Transmission Fluid Fill

OH dear.  Sounds like the great BMW experiment.  "Make it last thru
warranty .... to hell after that."   Or, "Drive it 'til it fails and
then pay us ... Big Buck$ for a reman unit."

Looking forward to your TSB.
--

   ~~Philip

"Never let school interfere
Re: '96 Camry Transmission Fluid Fill
1996 does not have separate transmission and final drive lubricants.
One source of ATF lubes all.
--

   ~~Philip

"Never let school interfere
Re: '96 Camry Transmission Fluid Fill
Yes you can use the dipstick tube.  Drain again at next oil
change and thenext and you'll have gotten 90% of the old
fluid out.  Its a whole lot cheaper than a dealer
transmission flush ($80-120). Use Dexron III --- its the
latest upgrade and is better.

Site Timeline