96 Toyota Camry stalls when warm

Help ... my trusty 96 Camry is stalling and it can't get up (until after it cools for 15 minuts). Mechanic says there are no fault codes present and has no suggestions. Engine only stalls when sitting idle (it seems to prefer busy intersections) and only after it's warmed up. When it runs, it runs great. I've already replaced the distributor cap and rotor (no help). It doesn't stall every time either. Today for instance, I disconnected/reconnected the engine temp control sensor harness and wiggled a few other cables around and went out for a 30 minute test ride with no problems. Outside temp was low 60s though and I fear the problem will only show during warmer temps. Going to bring it in garage tonight and retest. If anyone has any similar experiences, please let me know ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) Thanks/Jim

Reply to
kn4zj

<psommerhalder

Well that would be fine, but I've already brought it home from a well-known local mechanic who is at a loss as to what it could be. I haven't taken it to a Toyota dealer ... I've always been told that they will rob you blind and simply throw parts at it until they fix the problem. The only problem is you have to pay for all the parts that didn't fix the problem. I could see spending 500 on this to diagnose/fix ... maybe a bit more. The car has 170k on it and I know it's capable of 250+ ... My hope was to find someone on the forum that's had a similar experience with this car and has already had the stress. At least I can get decent money if I need to trade .. thanks for the input.

Reply to
kn4zj

My first guess would be the igniter or module. Known to be heat sensitive and can fail intermittently. Before you throw expensive parts at it, you need to go to the dealer or a shop with lots of Toyota experience and the appropriate test equipment. You could also join the Toyotas Only group at Yahoo Groups and inquire there. FWIW YMMV DFB

Reply to
MisterSkippy