97 4cylinder Radiator Changeout

The book says to remove the fans before removing the radiator. The autozone online informations says remove radiator with fans on. Anyone suggest the correct way??

Carllobo

Reply to
lobo

Hi There,

Recently I replaced the radiator in my 1995 4 Cylinder Camry.

90k Miles had it from new.

I just followed the Haynes Manual.

So the fans were removed first. That gave a lot more room to get to the hoses.

I replaced all hoses..thermostat...radiator cap at the same time.

One thing that did slow me down was the comment that the bottom rubber bushes that the radiator sits in would not need replaced. Mine were totally shot so had to be ordered before I could complete the job.

As mine is a Auto there are also two hoses to be disconnected at the bottom of the radiator which is a gearbox oil cooler. As these were still filed with oil. I found that once they were disconnected at the metal pipes on the block a small AA battery fitted into the hose to stop them leaking worked well.

I don't know what costs are there. But a replacement radiator from Toyota was quoted as £280 = US$560. A local supplier of radiators made in Denmark quoted £84.00 = US$168 The fitting holes were exact.

The total cost of all hoses and other bits including the RED refill from Toyota was £100= US$200.

Toyota quoted me £800 = US$1600 to carry out the work.

In passing I was going to replace the sensor in the bottom of the radiator that's the one that switches the Fans on . Until I saw the price £84.00.= US$168. I left the original fitted.

I asked on here about after market radiators as the replacement I purchased had PLASTIC headers. The opinion was to go for Toyota metal headers. However when I took the original Toyota radiator out. The bottom tank was indeed PLASTIC.

Easy job. Done in a day if you got those bottom bushes in hand.

Johnny UK

Reply to
JM

Toyota UK seems as greedy as Toyota USA ! and $560 for the radiator alone ! whew.

Reply to
mack

Either way would work, but without fans would be lighter and gives you more room with the lower hose connections as said. I agree that it would be a good time to change out the hoses and thermostat.Use Toyota Red with distilled water. Use a rad cap with spring loaded vacuum return valve, no dangling plastic valves.

Check

for prices. I'd use only Proliance (formerly Modine and Transpro/ReadyRad) and Koyo. Yeah, dealer Denso is overpriced.

Reply to
johngdole

Thanks for the feedback. Completed job today. Removed fans then pulled radiator. Job went quickly, spent more times flushing the engine with distilled water and then purging air after adding Toyota red. Replaced thermostate but kept hoses they looked ok. I'll keep and eye on them.

Lots more room to work on the radiator on the Camry, I remember pulling the radiator on a '51 Old 98, not much room at all, you had to get your hands between the fan blades.

Reply to
lobo