97 Camry 4 Cyl - Cold Engine Noise

Seems that my Camry has rattling timing belt also. Is there any other thing needs to be replaced beside timing belt? Tensioner maybe? By the way, what do you think about replacing the water pump at the same time? I have about 72K miles on the Camry.

Harry (97 Camry 4 Cyl)

================================================ From: MDT Tech Newsgroups: alt.autos.toyota.camry Subject: Re: 97 Camry - Cold Engine noise Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:32:40 -0700 Organization:

ma wrote:

Hello there. > > I hear a very annoying noise (like some loose > metal hitting something at a regular frequency) > only when I start the engine when it is cold, and > most of the noise seems coming from under the > valve cover. > > After a couple of miles of driving the noise goes > away, until the next cold start. > > I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. It's 60K > scheduled maintenance is very close. > > Do I need to be concerned and take it right now > or can I wait another 400 miles to get 60,000 mile > checkup? > > Thanks > > Mike >
Reply to
Harry Wu
1FE8FE4161F190E6B5BEF125 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

As a standard maintenance- I replace the timing belt, water pump and thermostat. Since all have to be disconnected to get to the timing belt. I also always specify to my mechanic to use genuine Toyota parts, especially for the water pump.

The tensioner can be easily checked to see if requires replacement at the same time. Tensioners, in my experience, can last for over 300,000 miles.

Regards,

Howard Epste> Seems that my Camry has rattling timing belt also. Is there any other

Reply to
Howard Epstein

Clatter that gets quieter as the engine heats up, points to piston slap. Overhead or valve-gear noise is the reverse. The rubber timing belt doesn't make a rattling sound, so I'm inclined to think it is something else like the exhausr heat shield rattling or the cam-gears zizzing.

Yep, its good sense to do the w/pump while the engine is partly dismantled.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Water Pump. Been there done that. Replace it and the timing belt while you're in to it.

dismantled.

Reply to
T. Wilson