97 Camry brakes

I have a 97 Camry CE with a warped rotor. Started after I replaced the pads with some Raybestos pads and turned the rotors. I then replaced the rotors with some Aimco rotors and again replaced the pads. The original problem was the pads had worn down to the screechers. I have checked the pucks and calipers, all are fine and not stuck or damaged.

The dealer told me the only way to keep those brakes from warping is to use genuine Toyota pads and rotors. Something about the way they are designed.

The million dollar question is, are there other alternatives than to use Toyota parts?

Reply to
Greg B

I don't get why you don't want to use Toyota parts, especially brake pads!

You can get the pads online for about $40-$45, did you check to see how much the local dealer is charging??

I realize the AutoZone/PepBoy part may be cheaper, but the way the non-OEM pads squeal, the extra $$$ is worth it IMHO.

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-me.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Actually I did look around for prices. But the main reasons I didn't buy Toyota was the brakes really sounded terrible. Squealing and grinding noises but they did stop the car. The dealer said it was normal but the rotors themselves looked terrible. Scarring and discoloring. So I decided to use an aftermarket part and Raybestos was the best in the business. Now they don't make any noise but they have warped rotors. Just wanted know if anyone else had the same experiences.

Reply to
Greg B

Yup...I had the bad luck of having rotors made in India put on mine once, never again..Stick with OEM parts.

Reply to
ROBMURR

I've put on some Brembo cross drilled rotors for the front when I had my Camry. The previous rotors were Toyota and the warped, had them turned at the dealer, and they warped again. I put in Toyota pads for the first change, they were good but squealed sometimes. I put in Axxis Ultimate Ceramic pads the second time when the OEM were toast. They were excellent and hardly ever squealed. The key is to buy the highest quality. I put on some Napa's most expensive pads in another vehicle once and they are terrible squealing pigs. I wish I would have done OEM on that at least.

Reply to
Rex

I've used Wagner brake rotors -- 1/2 the cost of yota OEM. Avoid those made in India and China --- poor quality steel.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I insisted on Toyota genuine replacemnt pads & discs on my UK 98 Camry because they were quiet, and DUSTLESS. With the 15" Toyota factory alloys (still in excellent condition) it was worth it. Lexus 200s here have awful pads they seem to visually trash the front alloys inside days of cleaning.

Dennis

Reply to
BwanaMzee